Summer

As the month passed, things grew easier for Irene and the girls. When the summer of '64 rolled around though, everyone was still struggling with the events in Dallas. Irene had busied herself with helping Jack campaign for the next election.
    Near the end of June, Irene, Josie, Katie, Caroline, John-John, and Jackie had moved into Jack's and Jackie's home at the compound so that Irene and the girls could adjust to the new baby in privacy once it was born.
    One weekend when Jack was home at the compound, the family relaxed on the beach. Irene and Jack sat on the beach and watched the waves with Josie while Jackie, Josie, John-John, and Caroline splashed in the water.
    "How are you holding up, kiddo?" Jack asked as he bounced Josie on his lap.
    "I don't know. As I get closer to having this baby, I miss him more. I just wish he was here. Did you know that four years ago Tom and I were sitting on this beach."
    "I know. That was the summer he proposed to you. Ah, Christ, why the hell did this happen?"
"I don't know," Irene sighed.
"Mama!" Josie squealed. Jack then passed Josie to Irene.
"Hi, baby girl!"
'These kids are what's gotten you through all of this. Now, what are you going to name this new little one."
"Well, I was thinking about naming him after Tom, but I don't know if I can stand to..."
"I know what you mean, kiddo. What about if you have a little girl?"
"Susan."
Jack smiled at Irene and then looked at Jackie playing with the kids.

A few days later, Irene was taken to the hospital. After she had delivered, Jack came to visit her, "Hello," he said quietly walking into the room.
His eyes bugged out and his jaw dropped.
"Surprised?"
Jack nodded silently with a look of disbelief on his face.