Chapter 9

Letter

It was already evening as you sat at the table. A candle you lit quite a time ago was the only source of light in the dimming room. It's flame casted soft shadows around the room, making it seem more lonely then it already was. The food on the plate was already cold for the second time.

Even if you wanted to you couldn't tell how long you were just sitting there while waiting for Sans to return. One, maybe two hours... You didn't really knew when he went out, so you could not say how long he was gone already.

The time felt endless to you. Small tears ran down your cheeks, a pained look in your eyes. Also you were afraid. What if Sans did something really stupid? What if he... wouldn't return...? No, there is no way he would leave you behind. Not again. You lost him ways to often.

Oh how you wished for this nightmare to end. Just hold Frisk in your arms, have fun with Sans and watch some anime with Undyne and Alphys. Was this really a wish so hard to grand?

If you want a thing bad enough to go out and fight for it,

Work day and night for it,

Give up your time and your peace and your sleep for it

If only desire of it makes you quite mad enough

Never to tire of it,

Makes you hold all other things tawdry and cheap for it

If life seems all empty and useless without it

And all that you scheme and you dream is about it,

If gladly you'll sweat for it, fret for it, plan for it,

Lose all your terror of God or man for it,

If you'll simply go after that thing that you want.

With all your capacity, strength and sagacity,

Faith, hope and confidence, stern pertinacity,

If neither cold poverty, famished and gaunt,

Nor sickness nor pain of body or brain

Can turn you away from the thing that you want,

If dogged and grim you besiege and beset it,

You'll get it!

*Gaining HOPE on times like this filled you with DETERMINATION.

You couldn't allow this world to end. You h a d to do something to change it. After all Frisk still was your sister you swore to protect. Beside her, the whole underworld lasted on your shoulders. For all the bad things you have done, this should be your chance to make it up to all of the monsters.

[Can you feel your sins crawling on your back?]

Remembering this line way to well, you nodded to yourself. You really felt guilty and wanted to change. That's why you tried to save every single monster this time. Now or never, that's how it felt. Either you save them now or there won't be any more occasion to do so.

... Chara will erase you. So... yeah. This really was your last chance.

And Sans kind of know it too. He would try to save YOU.

Sighing you pulled yourself together, searched for paper and pen and then you went to the table one more time. This time you didn't sat down. If you would, you wouldn't be able to bring yourself to stay again.

After a while of thinking you started to write:

I never thought I would be writing you this letter. There was a time when I thought our love would stand the test of time and nothing could come between us. Unfortunately, the world was against me from the very beginning. It was selfish of me to pull you into this whole nightmare of a life. The way things are now, we are no longer a positive influence in each other's life – I'm the reason why you fear the next day, why you are afraid to go back in time. Trust me, I really don't want to do this, but it is time to go our separate ways.

Frisk is my sister. I have to take responsibility for what she and I have done. I can feel my sins crawling on my back every day. Also there is the fear of losing you.

I want you to know that I am not blaming you. It should be clear to both of us by now that we are fighting a losing battle. The tension in our life is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Ha... a knife. That's how this horror started. The very first time Frisk stabbed me and the first reset occurred. But you know what? I loved you in every timeline there was. I have only one wish, if we don't see each other anymore. Please, don't forget me. Think of me as the kind person I was, not the killer Chara wanted me to be.

This can't go on forever, and we both know it.

Well, someone has to be the one to say enough is enough and I am doing it now. This time I am not coming back till my goal is archived. I believe that parting now is the best thing for both us. No solution will please everyone or solve all our problems. We still have happy memories from the past; we need to concentrate on making the present as happy as possible and try to keep a positive outlook on the future.

I want you to know I wish you all the best. You have a lot of great qualities that will serve you well in the future. Let's try to remember the good times, let go of our present miseries, and have the common sense to move on. Your my butter-half, and I will fall for you over and over again. This doesn't make any sans...

I love you, that's why I'm leaving.

Please forgive me. If there is a chance that we will see each other again, I'm looking towards it. After all I made a promise I have to hold. We will see the stars together. If not in this life, then in another one. I can't tell if I'll be able to come back. Chara is powerful...

Goodbye and see you soon,

my lovely skele-boyfriend.

You folded the letter, not sure where to put it. Then you heard how the door opened and as fast as you could you put the goodbye-letter into your pockets.

"I'm back. Sorry it took so long. I talked to Asgore- (Y/n)! What's wrong? Why are you crying?" said Sans as he walked in, his eyes wide as he saw you. There was no way you could give him the letter in person. This would break your heart.

Sans pulled you into a hug, patting your head softly.

"Sans... I love you. I love you so much. Please, don't make anything stupid!"