Glimpse of the Past

Quinn's POV

A fair-weather greeted me this afternoon.

The sky was covered with opaque clouds and there are no extremes of temperature or winds. Very suitable for what I needed to do today.

Although I badly wanted to enjoy it knowing that this kind of weather is usually relaxing, it is not enough to stop the wave of melancholy to wash over me.

It's already what?

Eight or nine years had passed and yet I can still feel the pain that it brought.

The event that changed me and have always been the darkest time of my life.

"Ello! What happened to your face?" Asked a 5-year-old girl to a 7-year-old boy seeing its bruised face as he walked up to her.

She's sitting on the floor, building and making something out of legos in their playroom when her brother entered. It was their play time but he is often late and would come with bruised face or cuts in any part of his body.

"D-did you fight again?" She said while tears started to fall in her eyes and her sniffing begins.

"H-hey, Cara. No, please don't cry." The boy replied and immediately went to hug her.

Actually, he already decided not to show up for he knew that her sister would be sad upon seeing him. But he didn't want to just leave her since it's their bonding time. Leaving her would only imply that she's not important when in fact, she is.

"It's not fighting, it's u-uhm tr-training." He added and cupped her cheeks so that she would be facing him.

"T-training? Like your soccer training?"

"A-ah something like that, but it's more on physical." He said while wiping her tears away. It pains him whenever he sees her cry.

She is their princess. An angel who brightens up their tenebrous and cryptic life. Their parents are not present in the moment. Hence, she's his responsibility and he would do everything for her.

Though what he said was not the whole truth, at least it's better than lying.

"Does it hurt?" She then asked as she caress her brother's face.

"Slightly. But a kiss would take away all the pain." The boy said and without further ado the girl did what the boy said.

After that, the mood lightened up again and they spend their quality time enjoyably oblivious to the two pair of eyes that watch them.

"I don't understand why these two lovely children would have to face such fate. I-it's unfair." Said a woman as she try not to breakdown but obviously failed when her voice croaked at the end of her sentence.

As a mom, she can't bear to see nor know what lies ahead of their kids. Their kids, that's what everybody knows. And everything that's about to happen, they did not deserve it one bit.

With those thoughts in mind, tears started to form in her eyes.

"Oh, hush dear." Soothed her husband who is beside her also, gazing at the kids.

"We have done our part and let's just make sure to do it right until the end." He said as he hug to comfort her.

"I know it's hard but at least we had the chance to show how much we love them. I just pray they'll be able to overcome everything."

"So, come on dear. Smile, you'll just make them worry if they see your puffy eyes." He said and watched as her wife wipe the tears off her eyes.

"Y-yes you're right. At least we had the chance."

"I'll miss them so much, hon."

"Me too, my dear."

"Thank you and I love you very much." She said after a while and lean in to kiss her husband.

"Anything for you, and I love you more." He replied before their lips locked.

When they were about to deepen more the kiss, a voice interrupted the couple.

"Mom! Dad! Get a room!" Whine a small voice beside them.

Immediately they separated from each other and face their children. The boy used his hands to cover her sister's eyes while his ears are red as a tomato.

"What's the problem Ello? Why would you want mom and dad to get a room and why are you covering my eyes? They just arrive and I want to greet them first!" Said her little sister and shove his hands to run to their parents.

"Moooom! Daaad! I miss you!"

"Miss you too, my angel." Said their mother as she hugged her while her father take and carry her.

"How's our princess?"

"Very fine, Ello is always there for me."

"That's good."

"How are you my prince?" The woman asked her boy who is still recovering from being flushed.

"Fine, Mom." He said and walk his way to kiss her mom.

"Are these bruises painful? Come let's treat it" She said as she kneel down to caress his face so that she'll be on his level.

"No need Mom. Its just a scratch and besides Incy, already kissed it."

"Wow, that's my prince."

"I'm proud of you, son. I know that I could rely on you." Said his father and came to him to mess up his hair.

"Dad not my hair!" The boy again whined earning laughter from the three of them.

*

It was late in the evening yet a subtle movement cause Incy to stir in her sleep. She sleepily open her eyes and saw her mother was carrying her. She also felt blankets covering her.

"M-mom?" She called which seems to break the intense look in the face of her mother.

"H-hey princess." Her mom answered as she glance at her while they are walking in the hall.

"Is there a problem?" She asked making her mom stop and fully face her.

"N-no nothing. Mom just wants to be with you."

"I want to sleep with you too, Mom." She answered thinking that her mom wants to sleep with her. Not noticing the strain in her voice.

"Yes, so go to sleep na, princess. A-always remember how much we l-love you."

"I love you too mom. And Dad too. Just tell him please. Oh, and El-lo too." She said while the last words came as a murmur.

And as innocent as she can be, she drifted again to sleep while cuddling close to her mother, trusting every words she said.