14. Crazy

Crazy

Chapter Fourteen

September 10, 2012

The alarm went off throughout the room, causing Beyoncé to groan in annoyance. She hadn't missed the sound of her phone's alarm, but she knew what it meant – grind time. It was time for her to get back to the job that truly paid for, and she couldn't wait. She had landed in the city last night, and it was truly buzzing. Did she fear for her life? Not at all. The Carters would be stupid to retaliate, knowing that it would simply be more bloodshed until they had no children left standing. She hadn't heard a word from Shawn, and her refusal to call him was strong. She refused to be the first one to call him, due to her pride.

She threw the covers off her body and turned the alarm off. Bey wiped her eyes and made her way to her bathroom to do her normal routine of showering, washing her teeth, and what not. The last thing she wanted to be was late today. Granted, she had every right to stay home due to her brother's death, but Bey didn't want to be home. She wanted to be out and about. She [needed] to be out and about. After doing her hair, she stepped out the bathroom to retrieve undergarments and something to wear for the day.

With an all black ensemble on, Beyoncé matched it with a pair of royal blue heels and a purse of the same color. She gathered her belongings, noting that she had plenty of time before she had to be at work, but she didn't care. Once she was outside her condo door and locking the door, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"I'll kill you," she spoke.

"You ain't gone do shit," Clifford replied before turning her around. Beyoncé smirked and looked at his attire. He was wearing a nice suit, letting her know that he was more than likely going to handle business.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm a businessman. I'm going to handle business. Where are you going?"

"I'm a businesswoman," she replied with a sly smirk.

"Let's get breakfast," Clifford said. He knew that with everything going on, she needed a friend. As much as she wouldn't admit to it, he knew the truth. The girl liked staying to herself and it was weird. She had a balance of when she wanted to be out and when she just wanted to be a homebody.

"I have to be at work."

"You're the boss," he reminded her. Beyoncé rolled her eyes before simply giving it. The two went down the elevator to the garage. They went to their separate vehicles after Cliff told her to simply follow him. The drive from their building to the quaint restaurant wasn't a long drive. Beyoncé parked next to him and got out.

"Your treat, right?" She asked once they entered.

Clifford frowned. "I thought you were paying?"

"Clifford..."

"Beyoncé."

"I just took you on a vacation," she replied.

He laughed. "That's your idea of vacation? I need to school you, baby girl."

Bey's eyes narrowed at that. She thought living in a nice home in Chicago that he didn't have to pay for was a good little vacation. "I'm holding you up to that."

"Good. I won't forget. How have you been, though?" Clifford asked her once they were seated inside of the restaurant. They opted for one of the small booths, since they were hoping to be in and out. Cliff grabbed the menu and began scanning it, even though he was already aware of what he'd wanted.

"I've been good. You?"

Clifford shrugged. "Nothing to feel bad about."

"Good," she responded, looking at her very own menu. She had only been to the restaurant once, but didn't remember much about it.