22. Song Cry

Song Cry

Chapter Twenty Two

October 1, 2012

Beyoncé woke up to her phone vibrating constantly on the nightstand next to her bed. She groaned out, but softened, knowing exactly who was calling her. It was the same call that she'd been getting every single morning since Shawn left her Saturday. He had expressed his concerns, but also let her know that it wasn't possible for him to actively be inside of her home to protect her.

Bey grabbed the phone, along with her earphones. Due to the fact that she didn't know if Michael's camera had sound or not, she needed to be extremely careful. Bey answered the FaceTime call, and Shawn's face appeared. He looked as though he'd already had a good start to his day. Wearing a simple sweater and jeans, Bey knew that he had been up for a moment.

"You're still in bed, beauty?"

Bey blushed, burying her face into the pillow. "Yes, what time is it?"

"Almost nine o'clock. Don't you have work?" He remembered their talk last night, and she told him that she would still be in New York to do her business meetings. Shawn had decided to let that slide, as long as he knew she was safe.

"Yes, but I'll get there about ten. What are you doing? You look like you've been up for a while."

"That's because I have," Shawn responded. He looked away from the phone briefly before looking back to her. "I'm packing."

"Packing? Where are you going? We didn't discuss anything about you leaving."

"Yes, we did," he reminded her. "I told you we need to leave, Bey. This shit is hitting land tomorrow. I can't stay here, man. Have you been looking at the news?"

"Yeah, but-"

"But nothing, Bey. Can you do something for me?"

"What?"

"After your meetings, come straight home, let me know you're there-"

"Come over."

Shawn shook his head. They'd had this conversation several times since Saturday. "You know that's not an option. You can come here, though."

Beyoncé shook her head. Today was her niece's birthday, and she was patiently awaiting Terrence's call any minute now. It was a tradition for him to call her on his daughter's birthday to confirm Bey's presence. "Finish your thought."

"Once you're home and you've let me know, pack some clothes."

"For what?"

"I want you to come to North Carolina with me."

Beyoncé laughed at this idea. She knew that North Carolina was where his mother was situated. "Close to your mother? Really?"

"In the same city, yes. But I'll go visit her, not the other way around. Can you just do that for me?"

"When do you leave?"

"My jet is taking off in a few hours. By the time you get back home, I'll be in North Carolina."

Bey looked away from the camera with sadness written all over her face. She didn't think it was that serious for him to not be able to just wait for her to get off of work. Granted, it was her decision to remain in New York for the rest of the day to handle business, but she felt as though he could have waited.

Shawn released a deep breath. "Don't look like that."

"You're just leaving, though," she replied immediately.