24. Song Cry

Song Cry

Chapter Twenty Four

October 3, 2012

Shawn awoke the next morning in an unfamiliar setting. He looked over and realized that he had slept alone, which was something he didn't expect when he arrived to Chicago. He had hoped the sleep in the same bed with Bey and be able to hold her, but as soon as she saw him, she made it clear that she didn't want to be touched at all. He noticed that she would have rather been alone than deal with Shawn or Clifford, but Clifford was getting more conversation than he was. Every time he attempted to speak to her, it was as if she was only responding because he wouldn't leave her alone if she didn't.

He went into one of the five full bathrooms to start his morning. He didn't know what today would bring, but he was anxious to see what could happen today. After getting dressed in sweats and a regular black shirt, Shawn went around the house until he found the master bedroom. Smoke filled the room, and he immediately grew a bit upset, knowing the smell of kush anywhere.

"Bey," he called out, knowing that she was lying on the bed with a blunt in-between her fingers. Shawn walked further in the room, seeing her with a scowl on her face. "Have you eaten?"

Bey sighed before shaking her head, knowing that food was the last thing on her mind. She looked back down to her iPad. Shawn released a deep breath. "How are you doing?"

Bey didn't bother looking up to answer him, because she wasn't going to answer him. She didn't feel as though the question needed a true answer. Feeling his hand on her body, she immediately snatched her body away from him. "Don't touch me!" It was as if she had to constantly tell him that, and she was tired of it.

Shawn looked at her with confusion. "Bey seriously, I just want to hold you, aight? You won't talk to me. You won't even entertain my presence."

"You came here! I didn't seek you out," she coldly reminded him. Shawn stepped back for a moment. His pride had been destroyed, and there was no coming back from that. He turned to walk away, but stopped when he saw Clifford standing in the doorway. With his head, Clifford gestured for Shawn to follow him. It was as if he had no choice, so he decided to follow him.

"I don't get it," Shawn spoke as soon as they were out of earshot of her. "She won't talk to me. She won't look at me for long. She doesn't even like to hear me talk, man. I'm her man."

Clifford shook his head. "You're her rapist's brother. That's what you are. The man that raped her is your brother."

"I'm much more than that," Shawn stressed.

"You're missing the bigger point, and it's coming across as selfish. You're blaming her for feeling a way? Your brother raped her, nigga. That's the fact right now."

"But I didn't! That's also a fact."

"What have you done to rectify the situation? Huh? Have you gone to your brother?"

"Yes," Shawn answered.

"Does she know that?"

"No."

"Then you haven't done it, in her eyes. You've done nothing but remind her of what happened."

"What? I haven't even brought it up."

Clifford looked over to Shawn, upset that he was truly this clueless. "Do you notice every little thing about her?"

"Like?"

"How she's perfectly fine until she's aware of your presence. How the closer you get to her, the more tense she gets. The way her body completely freezes at your touch. The way she attempts to quickly dismiss so that you can stop talking to her."