21. As We Lay

As We Lay

Chapter Twenty One

September 29, 2012

"Vacation's over," Beyoncé spoke softly. They had been sitting on the private jet for about an hour now, and had several hours to go, given the fact that the time zone would be changing. Returning to New York would be a bittersweet moment. She'd put her life on hold to spend time with Shawn, but now it was time for them to go back to reality. The reality was sneaking around like little teenagers, hoping to never be caught. The reality was Beyoncé burying herself in her work, forgetting that she was even in a relationship.

Slowly, Shawn nodded his head in agreement. "Yep. Back to normal shit."

"What's normal?" Beyoncé questioned. Her normal happened to be different from his normal.

Shawn sighed. "I'll be the one jumping through hoops to see you. I also have to make sure to keep Michael off your ass." That was one break that he truly needed. Keeping Michael from doing anything drastic had become tiring, and he didn't know if he would even be able to stop him.

Beyoncé ignored the comment about Michael, simply because she didn't know if it was as bad as Shawn was making it. She hadn't seen Michael in a long while. "You're saying that I don't jump through hoops to see you?"

"I don't want you to," Shawn replied. "I feel like it's my job to do all that, you know?"

"But if we're in this together, babe, then I do have to take risks sometimes."

"Keep your risks to a minimum," he responded whilst looking over to her. Beyoncé sighed and shrugged her shoulders. There was no use in arguing with him about this. She'd noticed that once his mind was made up, that was it. She didn't like it, but that was how it was to be.

"Did you enjoy yourself, though?" Bey questioned, ignoring his statement. She bit down on her bottom lip nervously hoping that his answer would be delightful to her ears.

Shawn smirked. "I did. I never thought running away was a fun thing."

"Running away can be a good thing," Bey expressed softly. "Sometimes you have to run away."

Shawn looked over to her and grabbed a hold of her hand. He brought it up to his lips and planted a gentle kiss on it. "One day we won't have to."

"That'll be the day when all of our family is dead."

Shawn chuckled. "No, maybe they don't care as much as you think."

Beyoncé shook her head quickly. "You don't know that, and that's one risk I refuse to take, Shawn. I'm not scared of a lot of things, but going before our parents and telling them that we're together is the last thing I'd ever do."

"I'll be right by your side, Bey."

"What good are you with a bullet in you?"

Shawn sighed. "Bey.."

"Shawn. No. I'm not even going to think about it. The war started due to loyalty, and you know that. I'm not going to sit in front of two men that kill due to loyalty and say that I've been fucking the enemy's son."

Shawn laughed softly. "I'd hope you wouldn't say it like that, but can you consider it?"

"I did, and the answer is no." There were risks, and then there were suicide missions. What Shawn wanted to do was stupid, and Beyoncé refused to take part in it. She had too much sense to let her parents know this without some type of insurance that neither of them could be killed or harmed.

"Alright, Mama. Come sit in Daddy's lap and cool down."

Beyoncé laughed hard. "Daddy?"

"That's what you call me during sex. Why not now?"