Chapter Seventeen: Interesting News

As the words left my mouth a camera popped up and started to analyze us. I felt myself become instantly more alert. This wasn't normal and I had a bad feeling about what this computer was going to tell us.

"It's some kind of recording," Natasha spoke up. The realization calmed me for a moment, that is until the computer spoke back.

"I am not a recording, Fraulein. I may not be the man I was when the Captain took me prisoner in 1945, but I am."

A picture then appeared on the screen. It was a scientist, and he had on glasses and an ugly scowl on his face. He looked like a real bag of fun.

"Do you know this thing?" I asked, turning to Steve. I didn't miss the part where the computer-person thing mentioned he was captured by the Captain. There was only one Captain I knew about.

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull. He's been dead for years," Steve explained, looking me directly in the eyes. I knew he was feeling just as unsettled about this as I was. If not more so.

"First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you," the computer-person explained. I took a look around the room one more time. "I have never been more alive. In 1972 I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body, my mind, however, that was worth saving on two hundred thousand feet of data banks. You are standing in my brain."

I instantly felt my face pinch up. I looked down at my feet and lifted them each one at a time. This was a weird statement and made me feel even more like we shouldn't be here.

"Anyone else wanting to get the hell out of here?" I muttered between the two of them.

"Not before we get some answers," Steve responded. He then turned back towards the screen and addressed it. "How did you get here?"

"Invited," the scientist computer answered quickly back.

"It was Operation Paperclip after World War Two. SHIELD recruited German scientists with strategic values," Natasha stated, giving us an input on why an ally with Red Skull would end up under SHIELD.

"They thought I could help their cure. I also helped my own," the computer spoke up again, interrupting my thoughts.

"HYDRA died with the Red Skull," Steve told it, even though we both knew that wasn't true any longer. Ever since I remembered the name of the organization that gave me my powers and trained me to be a killer. The one that made me kill my first man. I think he was trying to get some answers out of the scientist.

"Cut off one head, two more shall take it's place."

"Well if you're so sure about that then why don't you prove it," I told the screen, the first time I directly addressed it.

"Accessing archive," the scientist-computer told us. Old photos of Red Skull popped up. It went through how the original SHIELD was founded. "Hydra was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with it's own freedom. What we did not realize, was that if you try to take that freedom, they resist. The war taught us much. Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war, SHIELD was founded and I was recruited. The new Hydra grew. A beautiful parasite inside SHIELD. For seventy years Hydra has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war. And when history did not cooperate, history was changed."

I felt my palms get sweaty. I knew this wasn't going to end well. This always happened on missions that I knew were going to end sour.

"That's impossible, SHIELD would have stopped you," Natasha said to the screen. Clear anger lacing her voice.

"Accidents will happen," the computer responded, accent thick. Then more images appeared onto the screen. This time it was of pictures of Howard and Maria Starks deaths. I felt a pinged of sadness for my team member Tony. The picture was placed to look like a tragic car accident, but really it was Hydra's doing. Then Nick Fury's picture showed on the screen. His recent death making my face turn and I could feel anger boiling inside me.

"Hydra created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once the purification process is complete, Hydra's new world order will arise. We won Captain. Your death, as well as these two, will amount to the same as your life; a zero sum."

At that part I lost it. While Steve was distracted by his words I forced his shield into the computer screen. I used all the power I had and crashed the computer screen. He turned and looked at me, I gave a sheepish grin. I knew he would understand where this anger and frustration was coming from. I also felt Natasha's eyes on me as well. Most likely a look of approval, or annoyance. It was a little hard to tell sometimes.

"As I was saying.." The computers voice ringing out once again, this time the scientists face appearing on a smaller computer.

"What's on the drive?" I demanded from the computer. I was tired of this thing and wanted to be finished with this.

"Project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm," it answered me.

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Natasha asked the computer again.

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it," he told us. I knew this thing was fishy. We all looked around and the doors to the building started to close. Steve went to throw his shield under the door, but it was too late. I tried using my powers to force it open but the gravity on it was too strong and I already used a bunch of energy throwing the shield at the computer. I really needed to build my strength up in that area.

Steve was by my side in an instant.

"Well this should be fun."