Chapter Twenty-Eight: Anxious

~STEVE'S POV~

We were all gathered around Nick, going through everything that has happened in recent events. My mind wasn't fully focused, not only was Bucky alive, but they have Morgan. I have no idea where either of them are and I was almost sick with worry. Not only was I worried, I could tell Nat  was slightly off since Morgan was taken by Hydra. Neither of us fully understanding what they wanted with her, except for her powers.

Nick pointed at a picture of Alexander Pierce, "This man declined the Nobel Prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"Well, we have to stop the launch," Natasha said, our eyes locking for a moment. Hers were almost unreadable at the moment.

"I don't think the counsel is accepting my calls at the moment," Fury replied. His one eye scanning over all of us, looking for any ideas.  When he saw none of us had any of our own he pulled out a briefcase. Opening it, it revealed three chips.

"What are those for?" Sam asked quickly.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet. they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized," Maria explained to the three of us, Nick already knew all about how the Helicarriers worked.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Fury explained further, nodding towards the chips.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are going to die," Maria finished.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left," Nick said. My eyes instantly found his.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD," I told him, leaving no room for objections. I wasn't going to let something like his happen again.

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it," he countered. His eye piercing into mine, I knew he wouldn't want to let it go, but it was what needed to be done.

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you've said so yourself. Hydra was right under your nose and you never noticed, and now they have Morgan and who knows what they're doing to her or what they are planning to use her for," my voice growing colder. I could feel my jaw set as I tried to hold in my own anger, I was feeling more and more anxious as time went on.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed. And I wouldn't count Morgan out, she's a strong woman. You of all people should know that," he told me, almost accusing me of not having faith in her. I clenched my hands under the table before continuing.

"And how many paid the price before you did? We know of at least one," I said pointedly, referring to her once more. I knew she was strong, but so was Bucky and look at all of the things they  made him do. And everything they made him forget. I didn't want Morgan to be the next on their list. She already went through a lot with them in her past.

He gave me a long cold stare, then it turned regretful. "Look, I didn't know about Barnes. And I for sure didn't know about their plans with Smith. It was all a surprise to me as well."

"Even if you had, would you had told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that as well? SHIELD, Hydra it all goes," I finished, putting my foot down.

"He's right," Maria said to Nick. I watched as he looked over towards both Natasha and Sam.

Sam gave him a shrug, "I do what he does, only slower."

I gave a small smile, the first one since we walked into this underground cave.

"Well.. looks like you're the one giving orders now Captain."

"Alright, I have a plan."

~A/N Hey everyone I put up a new chapter, I know it is somewhat short but the next one will be longer. I don't really like doing two POV in one chapter that's why I have been breaking them up lately. Hopefully everyone liked it! Please leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed it and let me know what you think!~