Chapter Twenty-Three: Carpool Anyone?

All five of us were crammed into Sam's car. I was in the backseat squished in between Natasha and Jasper Stillwell. This car ride was destined to be fun.

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks," Jasper spoke up in the car. Clearly worried about what HYDRA would do to him if they found he was the one to spill all of the information to us.

"So why don't you try sticking a cork in it," Sam spoke from the driver's seat, never taking his eyes off the road. I nudged him, trying to create as much space away from him as I could. I met Steve's gaze in the rearview mirror and there was sympathy in his eyes. I gave him a shrug as I tried to move as close to Natasha as I could. Even though our friendship was mending, it was still on the awkward side, but it beat being all in Stillwell's space.

"Insights launching in sixteen hours, we're cutting it a bit close here," Natasha spoke up. I gave her a panicked look and shifted some more in my seat. I leaned towards the front, sticking my head beside Sam and Steve.

"Alright guys we're going to need to go a little faster than 65 here," I told him as I glanced at the speedometer. 

"I know," Steve said. He then gestured towards Stillwell. "We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the Helicarriers directly."

"What? Are you crazy? That is a terrible, terrible idea," Stillwell spoke up from beside me. I jabbed him in the side with my elbow, signaling for him to stop talking. He gave me a dirty look and I flashed him a sweet smile.

Then before another remark could be made there was a loud thud on the roof. As I was about to comment something, Stillwell was yanked out of the car and thrown onto oncoming traffic. Then bullets started to fall around us.

"Do something!" I screamed at Steve and Sam. Steve pulled the emergency brake and the Winter Soldier flew off the car. Another car pushed into the back of ours and pushed us closer towards the Winter Soldier. I watched in shock as he smashed his hand through the window and rips the steering wheel right out.

"Shit!" Sam yelled. I had no words, I felt like I couldn't even move. Seeing him person, I felt like I knew him from somewhere. Like I recognized him, but his face was covered and I couldn't place it. I shook myself out of my thoughts.

Natasha jumped to the front and started shooting at him, not doing much damage to him.

Then Steve turned around and made eye contact with me, about to try and protect me. But, he must have been able to read my facial expressions. 

"Morgan don't!" Steve shouted at me, but I ignored his words and teleported beside the Winter Soldier. I took a shot at him and he easily dodged it, I saw out of the corner of my eye, that the three were able to get out of the car. Just as I pulled my focus back to the Soldier he gripped my throat with his metal arm, I used all my force and was able to force his hand to release me. His eyes widened in surprise, but it didn't hold long before his metal arm smacked me across the face and sent me flying across a car.

"Holy shit," I breathed out, trying to catch my breathe. I watched as more Hydra agents walked up, all with guns. I teleported over as close as I could, I was able to see beside Steve and I teleported beside him. As I got there bullets flew our way and he tucked us both behind his shield.

"Are you okay? What were you thinking?" he exclaimed while we were under the safety of his shield.

"You three needed to get out of the car, I'm okay don't worry," I reassured him. When the bullets stopped momentarily I looked up to see the Winter Soldier go after Natasha. She was able to escape him, landing a shot at his eye mask, which he quickly discarded. Seeing his eyes made me stop for a moment, feeling another sense of familiarity. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I saw him coming towards us.

"I got her! Go find him!" Sam yelled, covering our asses by taking care of most of the Hydra agents.

"Get down there and find Natasha!" Steve told me, rushing towards where the Winter Soldier went, who disappeared after Natasha.

I teleported down to the street below the overpass we were on. Running in the direction Nat went. I quickly found her, she grabbed my arm and went running in the opposite direction of where she just was. She put a finger over her lip as we ducked behind another car. I heard a playback message and I finally understood what she was doing and why she was originally at that other car in the first place.

I gave her a nod as we waited, my breath hitched for a moment when I saw him. He went right over to the car with the playback message, falling right into the Black Widow's trap. I watched as he rolled a small silver ball under the car and I knew what would happen next. The loud explosion rang through my ears but we both jumped into action without hesitation.

She jumped on his back and tried to choke him. I came up in front of him and landed a few hits. He snatched her off of him and threw her at me. Both of us knocking into another car. She grabbed my hand and tugged me to run beside her. I sprinted as fast as I could, making my way in front of her.

"Get out of the way!" I screamed at civilians, praying no one would be killed in this.

I was running until I heard Natasha let out a gasp, I stopped and turned to see her gripping her shoulder. Which was now covered in red. She had so much fear in her eyes, which scared me even more than the Winter Soldier. I ducked behind the car and helped her sit against it.

"You need to get out here Smith. Go help Steve, I'll be okay," she said. Then before I could protest she stared past me and I knew exactly what, or should I say who, she was looking at. I turned and looked that way, confirming what I already knew. He was pointing a gun at us and I knew he was about to take us out.

Then Steve runs in and starts attack him. I let out a shaky breathe, and I see Natasha doing the same. I quickly rip off the bottom hem of my shirt and tie a tight knot around her shoulder, trying my best to stop the bleeding until we could get Nat real help.

"Stay here. I'm going to try to help Steve," I said, hearing the doubt in my own voice.

"Morgan, kick his ass."

~A/N Ok thank you to every single person reading this story! It means so much to me. I have an amazing few chapters coming up and I hope you guys will like them! I think it will for sure add some drama! Anyways if you enjoyed this chapter please leave me a vote or comment, they are all really appreciated. Have a Marvelous day! (Yes I just used a marvel pun and no I am not ashamed)~