chapter one

I woke up in my room, got up, took a shower, and threw on my black chucks, black jean pants, black shirt, and grey zip up hoodie. I put my backpack on, went downstairs, and walked to school. As I was walking down the drive way, I plugged in my earbuds into my iPhone and began listening to music. As I was walking to school, I went to the nearby bakery and entered in.

"Hello, Chase."

"Hi, Mrs. Simmons."

"Same as always?"

"Yes, please."

"Here you go."

I began bringing out my money.

"On the house."

"How can I repay you?"

"Consider it a birthday gift. Happy birthday."

"Thank you."

"How are you gonna celebrate your birthday?"

"Alone."

"Like always," she rolls her eyes.

"Yeah."

"Okay. Well, be on your way. I don't want you getting to school late."

"Okay. Bye, Mrs. Simmons."

"Bye."

I continued walking to school and got there on time. As I was walking down the crowded halls, I bumped into some girl. 

"Oh, hello."

I walked away and went to my locker. I guess, she followed me.

"I'm Harper."

I ignored her.

"I'm new."

I looked at her head to toe.

Uh, she's rich and preppy.

"I need help getting around."

"Then go ask him," I point at the popular kid, Connor Hanks.

Bleh.

"But, I want you to show me around."

"But, Iiii...," I closed my locker, "want to be alone."

I walked away and left her there. I was not going to let anyone ruin the life I'm trying to build back up. She kept following me.

"Where's Geometry?"

Oh great. We got the same class.

"Just...," I kinda raised my voice.

"Hey, everything okay?"

"Connor, can you show her around?"

"Sure thang-" (He's from Tennessee.) "-come on little darling."

He grabbed her by her waist and arm. I continued walking to class and sat next to my partner.

"Hey, Chase."

I lift my head up. It's my way of saying "sup."

"How was your weekend?"

I shake my head side to side meaning "eh."

"That's good."

I put my books on my side of the desk. Oh, did I mention it's rainy? If I didn't, well...it's raining outside. Rain is my favorite season. Gloomy is my favorite day. That's why I'm glad I live in Minnesota. It's either gloomy or raining.

"Here," my partner places a box in my hand. I took my earbuds off.

"Piper, what's this for?"

"It's your birthday today," she whispered.

"You remembered?"

"Yeah."

I brought a box out of my backpack and placed it in her hand. Today's her birthdays too.

"So you do listen," she while happily looking at the box. I smiled.

"Wow, I feel special," she said while lightly laughing. Once we finished laughing, the girl from early. I forgot her name. I wasn't really listening to her. Well, she came in. She kept staring at me. Once I looked at her, she blushed.

Oh great.

I looked into Piper's beautiful, blue eyes and began to smile.

"Well, are you gonna open it?"

I give her the look.

"Fine, I'll open mine up first."

She opened it and gasped at the necklace she's been wanting.

"Why? How? When?"

I smiled at her.

"You were listening. Weren't you?...Can you put it on?"

I nodded meaning "yes," and helped her put on her necklace.

"Now, open yours."

I opened it and saw a very expensive art set, and a solid steal pen with my name engrave on it. It's not as expensive as I gave her. Her necklace cost a lot of money, but it doesn't matter. She's worth it. She's worth a whole lot more than me. I just hope she'll hear me out and give me a chance. I also hope today's the day. The day, I finally get the guts to ask Piper out.

"Piper?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you...I mean, could you like to...I mean, would...would you like to..."

"I'd love to go on a date with you, but I already have a boyfriend."

I looked down to the ground.

"I've been waiting for you to ask, but I just couldn't wait anymore."

I put my earbuds back into my ears and looked at my wrist.

Is it really worth it?

I raised my hand.

"May I use the boys room?"

The teacher nodded "yes." I went to the boys room and cut myself. I knew it. I knew I should have completely gotten rid of emotions. I knew I shouldn't have held on to that one piece of my past. I just knew it. I went back to class and saw Piper looking at me. I sat back down in my seat.

"That was fast." 

I put my earbuds back on and quickly placed a band aid in my wrist.

Yeah, she "was" worth it.

I stood listening to music because I already know three quarters of this text book, and the class isn't even half way done yet.