chapter thirty-two

Are we back together? Are we not? What's going on? Did I just break up with...the other him? Or what? I'm so confused. As we were at breakfast, everyone kept talking to Chase, asking how he's been this past year. The whole time, I was confused. He didn't hold my hand, mention that he was glad we're back together, just nothing.

"So chase, how are you Harper, seeing you're together again?" He looked at me.

"They don't know about the other guy," I whispered.

"Oh, yeah. It's great I'm glad to finally have her back in my life," he looked at me loving. He looked at me. He didn't kiss me or hold my hand. No, he just looked at me. What is that? After breakfast, he walked to the guest room, not my room the guest room. I knocked on the door. "Come in," he said muffled on the other side of the door. I walked in and closed the door behind me. I lied down next to him, and he only wrapped his arm around me. I looked down.

This is what I get for technically cheating on him.

"I'm not mad at you."

"Then, what are you?" I shot up from his arm. He slowly got up, trying not to grunt.

"I'm just trying to process everything that's going on right now."

"How can you not?"

"Well, geez, let me see. I get shot, and I didn't know who to go to. I was hoping to finally see my girlfriend, but it turns out she was with this other guy who abuses her."

"He wasn't always like that."

"Oh really, how long have you been dating him?"

"Seven months."

"Give me the first place he hit." I gave him my arm. He won't be able to tell. Right? He began to feel it. "You're first was a week before seven months. So I'm guessing he hit you and forced you into the relationship." I looked at him in awe.

"How'd you..."

"I had to learn for this girl I call me niece," he interrupted.

"What happened to her?"

"She was kidnapped, beaten all because of me," he began to tear up. "Thankfully, I rescued her on time, but I had to leave. She cried when she found out I was leaving. I stood there the whole time, checking her bruises everyday."

"If you were there a whole year, how did you get here?"

"The last day, I saw him trying to break in, so I chased him all the way here. I got shot on the way here." I'm still confused. "Basically, it's just been hell."

"I get it. It has been here too."

"How?"

"Piper took a three sixty and went wild child. She parties every night, doesn't keep her grades up. She just changed a lot. Ricky has been nice. Carrie and Connor got in a fight. Connor is trying to fix it, but Carrie doesn't know what she wants."

"I can talk to Carrie."

"Without showing your face?"

"You're talking to a master of disguise."

"Doubt it."

"Is that a challenge?"

"Yes, it is." He left out of the room. He took a while so I went looking for him. As I was walking around, I saw this older guy. He looked middle aged and really handsome for his age. He walked out of the house. After a few hours, he came back. "Excuse me, sir. Are you a new worker?" He just smiled and lightly chuckled. He went into the restroom and came out Chase. "Okay you win." He smiled and began walking to his room. He stopped. "Are you coming?"

"I will. Just go, I'll meet you in there." I sat down confused. "I'll just ask him." I went to the room and saw Chase trying to change. "Let me help," I walked over to him. I began to help him change. "I need to change your bandages first."

"Okay."

"Lie down. I'll be back."

"Okay," he started lying down. I got new bandages and went back to the room. I saw him lying down and looking at the ceiling.

"Okay, just stay calm as possible, and it shouldn't hurt."

"Okay." I began to take off the old bandages.

"It's staring. To look a bit better, but I have to tell my dad to stitch it up."

"Okay." I called my dad, and he went in the room. He began to stitch him up, while I was holding his hand. Chase just stood quietly looking at the ceiling. Once my dad was done, he left us alone. I looked at him and smiled. Chase just closed his eyes towards the ceiling. I got up and put the bandages on him. Once I was done, I lied down next to him and wrapped my arm around him.

I began to whisper, "I'm sorry. I didn't know what I did to us. I don't ow what we are. I do know I'm still in love with you, and I will never be able break your heart again."