chapter five

Once the bell rang, I went to my locker to get my stuff for the next class. I got my art supplies and went to class. Once I got to class, I saw Piper making out with her boyfriend in the back of the class. Once she noticed me, she stopped, and when she did, she went all awkward mode on everyone. I mean, why should she? That's her boyfriend, but for some reason, she went all awkward mode. After art, I went to PE. The jocks kept picking on me.

"Alright, twenty laps around the field," the coach said before he blew his whistle. Everyone began running. I was first like always.

"Why don't you join our track?" our coach asked.

I shrugged my shoulders which is saying," I don't know."

"Well, you should son," he said before patting my back. "Go on and take a shower."

I went in and began taking a shower. After two minutes, a couple jocks came in.

"Hey, loser."

I'm dressed in clean close and began heading out.

"Hey, we're not done talking to you."

I tried getting out quickly, but they didn't want to leave me alone.

"Hey, come on boys. Leave him alone."

All of them look at the coach and Connor in the middle of the shower room.

"All of you are benched for next football game."

"What! Coach that's not fair."

"Well, I guess you'll learn from this."

They look at coach all sad and bummed.

"Hey, you okay?" Connor came up to me.

I nod my head saying, "yes."

"I wish it could go back to how it was."

I look at him and run out.

After PE, I went to math.

"Alright, get with your partners."

I went with my partner, Carrie.

After math, it was extra time. I was fine after the incident. The girl, Harper_____, -I forgot her last name- didn't have anymore classes with me so that was a plus, and Piper didn't have anymore classes either with me. Once school was over, I put my books in my locker and brought out my guitar to take home. I saw that it was raining, and I didn't want it to get wet so I had to leave it in my locker. I began taking it back to my locker when my teacher stopped me.

"Hello, Mr. Justin."

"Hello," I say barely audible.

"I can take your guitar to your house for you while you walk home. I'll put it in its usual spot."

"Thanks," once again I say barely audible.

"You're very much welcome."

She grabs my guitar and walks to her car while holding her umbrella. She got in her car and drove away. I got my phone, plugged in the earbuds, put it in my pant pocket, and began walking to work. I went to the nearby diner and punched in my card. I took out my earbuds and shoved them into my pant pocket. I went to my section and began taking orders. On the first table, there was Harper _____. I wasn't really paying attention to most of the things she was saying.

"Hi," I mumbled.

"Hi. I'll take a tuna sandwich, strawberry milkshake, and bag of cookies."

"Right away," I say very very quietly.

I went to the counter and asked if someone else would give her her order.

"I'm sorry. No one else can do it," my manager said.

"Okay," I sighed. I got her tray and took it over to her.

"Thank you."

I nodded my head and went over to the next table. 

"We'll take the usual."

I nodded my head, and placed in the order.  I got the order and bright the tray to their table. Harper kept looking at me. I tried not to pay much attention to her. I went to the next table, and there was Connor and Carrie doing work.

"Oh, hey. I'll take my usual. What do you want Connor?"

"Just a coke."

I nod. I placed in the order and got their stuff. I headed to their table and saw them playing around.

"Connor stop."

"Why?"

"Stop."

He finally stopped, fixed her hair for her, and they began to stare at each other. I cleared my throat.

"Oh sorry. Thank you."

I went out because my shift was over and saw these guys picking on Harper. I ran up to them.

"Hey leave her alone."

They looked at me.

"Oh. I know who you are. Your uh..." he starts to snap, "....Chase. Chase Justin. Okay. We'll leave her alone. Seeing your history and all," he laughs.

They all leave, and I begin to walk away.

"Hey, stop," Harper caught up to me. "How can I thank you?"

"No need, just go home."

"Please, come over to my house for dinner."

I look at her.

"I'm fine."

"Please, I'll...I'll leave you alone."

"Look, I'm...."

"Please?"

I look down to the ground and sigh.

"Alright."