chapter twenty-two

I went to my bed, went to sleep, and woke up the next day for school. I went to my closet and got dressed for the day. I grabbed my white, short sleeve, button up, collar shirt with my thin navy blue button up sweater, a black skirt that went above the knees, black leggings, and black Keds. I brushed my hair and left it down. I put my red lipstick on and headed downstairs. I grabbed my books and backpack, my breakfast drink, and went to school on my bike. I looked at the school building and hated that today was the first day of school without Chase. Just to hear his name, I miss him, but I have to stay strong for him. As I walked through the school, I saw Connor, Carrie, and Connor's friends. I walked up to them.

"Hey, guys."

"I'm sorry but do we know you," Carrie said very kindly.

I looked at them waiting for them to notice me. After half a minute, Connor recognizes me. Connor had water in his mouth and immediately spit it out once he realized who I was.

"Harper?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, golly, I almost didn't recognize you."

I lightly laughed, and we all began to small talk. The bell then rang, and we all began to head to class. As I was walking to my class, the place where it started it all. I opened the door, and I saw Chase. Well, I thought, I did. I looked at his seat and pictured the first day we met. I picture him when he smiled at me. I then sat down next to Ricky.

"You miss him?"

"Yeah," I lightly nod while I wiped a tear from my cheek.

He came in for a hug. "There, there. Everything will be okay. You'll see." We pulled the hug apart. I smiled at him. Chase's partner got up and came over to me.

"Hey, Harper."

"Uh, Hey."

"Oh, sorry. Forgive me. I'm Piper. I'm Chase's neighbor, partner, and friend. He told me to ask you if you could help me watch the house for him..."

"I already do," I laughed interrupting her.

"Great..." she laughed "...and...and..."

My eyes began to get watery. "and, what?"

"He...loves...you." Her eyes began to get watery. Before a tear could fall, she left back to her desk.

"What was that all about?"

"She use to like Chase."

I thought she didn't. I mean in repeating days. It says she didn't.

"What happened?"

"She couldn't wait any longer, so she got with Percy. Once she told Chase, she was never the same. She began to drink, go to parties, you know the teen wild life."

"Oh."

"Yeah, now she feels like she owes him, but I don't see why she should. I mean, some people just aren't meant to be together."

"Really?"

"Yeah, to be honest. I like you for Chase."

"Why?"

The teacher then came in.

"Turn your books to chapter seven."

Once class was over, we packed up our stuff.

"Hey," I stopped Ricky in the hallway, "you didn't answer my question."

"I won't be able to answer it till after school. Meet me at the diner."

"Which one?"

"The one Chase worked at."

I was trying to avoid it so I don't cry, but...

"Okay, see you there."

I then walked over to music class. I went to our music room and saw Chase's guitar. I sat down and had a total mental and emotional breakdown. After a few minutes of crying, I finally pulled myself together. I wiped my tears and began to play the piano. As I was playing the tune for my song, I remembered Chase's song.

"Let's talk about what's on your mind."

(Italicized will be flashbacks just for this part)

"Wanna talk about what's on your mind?"

"Huh?"

"Leave out your greatest dream."

"...and this time not about your dreams."

"They say that men don't take the time, but I don't see no fancy ring." I looked at the ring Chase gave me.

"Fallin' in love one the first date."

I've been in love with her since the moment she fell on me.

"I don't even know your last name."

"You weren't paying attention when I was talking to you. Were you?"

"I was going through some stuff at that time. So no, no I wasn't."

"Oh."

"You start off first."

"Okay. Well, I'm Harper."

I began to smile. I can't believe he really doesn't know my last name, but then again, I never told him. I continued to sing his whole song. Once I was done, I heard someone clapping. I looked up and saw our music teacher.

"Where did you come up with that?" our teacher asked out of awe.

"Chase came up with it. I'm just learning how to play it."

"You both did."

"How?"

"You were his inspiration. If you hadn't helped him with that, you would never be singing it."

She's right.

I began to smile.

"Well, class is over. Everyone go to your next class."