chapter seven

I went home that night and didn't plan on going to Harper's house. I brought out my guitar and tried making a tune for a new song I've been writing. So far, I've been writing this song based on an inspiration I've been having, but the thing is I don't know where the inspiration is coming from. So far, all have is the chorus. The next day, Harper didn't follow me around or talk to me.

Was it something I did? Did I say something wrong?

Then, it clicked in my head.

You didn't go to her house for dinner, stupid.

Oh right. I feel...I feel. I don't know what I feel, but I don't like it. I started feel sad and unwanted.

I know what will fix this.

I went to the boys room and cut. I felt all my pain go away while the blood began to come out. I put a bandaid on it and went to class. For the next week, Harper look like she was holding onto one last hope. After a week, she confronted me. It was after school, and I was getting my guitar and putting my books away.

"Hey."

I move my head in a way of saying, "sup."

"Wanna hang out?"

I had to think if I had work or not, and I did. I shook my head in a way of me saying, "no."

"Oh work, right."

I nodded me head in a way of me saying, "yeah."

"Well, how about after work?"

I nod my head in a way of saying, "sure." I don't really want to talk to her just yet. I don't want to be wrong about her. I don't want to say, "oh yeah she's my best friend, and she'll always be there for me, " but then when I need her, she's not there for me. I always thought Piper was there for me, but after she told me the truth, I noticed she was never there. She never did anything other than trying to get into my pants. I don't want that, not right now.

"Okay well here's my phone number. I'll see you after work."

I nodded my head trying to say, "okay."

After that one-way conversation, I began walking down an alley where no one was and began taking a shortcut to work. As I was walking down the alley, Piper threw herself on me.

What's Piper doing here?

I looked at her, and she looked drunk.

Where's her supposedly boyfriend?

"Come on baby. Don't you love me," she said while putting her hands around me neck.

"Piper you need to go home," I say trying to take her hands off my neck.

"Why so we can finish this?" she says flirtatiously.

"No Piper. You're not well. Get some rest."

She then began to kiss me on my cheek and neck.

"Piper no. Go home," I say pulling her off of me. "Where's you boyfriend?"

"What do you mean? I'm right here with him."

"Piper, you're not thinking straight. Go home."

She then began to kiss me again, this time on my lips, and I accidentally kissed back. She slowly began lowering her hands to my belt buckle, and that's when I pulled away.

"Dang it Piper! Go home! NOW!"

She began to cry and ran home. After that scenario, I finally arrived to work.

"You're late."

"Sorry, I had some problems down the alley."

"Oh the alley. I don't know why you go down that alley. I'll let it slide since it was the alley."

"Okay," I replied. I went to my section and saw Connor and Carrie sitting together and smiling and flirting. Connor began to tickle her.

"Connor. Connor," she said while trying not to laugh.

"Okay, okay," he puts his hands up in surrender. I look at them in the, "huh huh," way while raising my eyebrows.

"Oh shut up," Connor says. I laugh on the inside, but on the outside, nothing came out, not even a smile, chuckle, no noise came out.

"I'll take my usual. What about you Connor?"

"I'll take my usual."

I nod my head. I took in the orders and brought them their food. Once I came back, I saw them kissing like intensely kissing. I cleared my throat. Connor pulled them apart.

"Sorry," Connor said while sitting straight.

Carrie fixed her hair behind her ear, "um...can we keep this between us three?"

I nodded my head in a way of saying, "yes."

"Thanks. I don't want anyone knowing about this."

"Why?" Connor said. Carrie starred at Connor and grew some confidence.

"You know what. It's fine if people find out. I'm proud to call Connor my boyfriend."

Connor kissed her on her cheek, and she held her check and blushed looking down.

I began going booth to booth and finally finished. I went home, changed, and met up with Harper. I met with her at a cafe.

"Hey Chase."

"Hey. So what are we gonna do?"

"I was thinking we go walking around seeing sites. I'm new here. Remember?" she laughed.

"Oh yeah," I smiled.

Wait! Am I actually talking and smiling? I like it, but I'll only do it in front of her.

"I have a place in mind." I grabbed her hand and took her to one of my favorite places to go.