Chapter Three: Out of My League

Destiny and I huddled over our lab table as we filled out our class sheet for high school. I checked marked the electives “3D Art” and “Photography” while Destiny checked marked “Summer school” and then selected three electives. None of which included the two I chose.

“You’re not doing summer school?” She asked puzzled. I just shook my head. “Why? You get an extra elective, and you can get chemistry out of the way.”

“I have things I’m doing this summer.” Which was partially true. I didn’t have anything specific planned, but I had thought up some stuff last night that I wanted to do.

“Like what?” Destiny challenged. “Eating chips and watching T.V. all day?” That was what I did last summer and I was most likely going to do it this summer, so I didn’t take that offensively. “You need to stop being so damn lazy, Lee.”

“What electives did you put down?” I asked, ignoring her comment.

“Yearbook, design, and chem.” She read off her paper.

“Yearbook?” I repeated. “All the pretty, skinny girls do that, like, every year.”

“I know.” Destiny nodded. “And I’m pretty and skinny, so I want to do it next year.”

“Is there something I should know?” Yeah, Destiny talks to the pretty, skinny girls occasionally, but I never considered her friends with them because she gossips to me about them all the time. Most of the time she’s saying how much she hates them and their preppiness.

“I want a fun four years of high school.” Destiny admitted. “So, I’m going to step out and try new things. Even newer things than I already do.”

“Sooooo that means...?”

“Join me if you like, but if you’re too scared then you can try finding new people to hang out with.” I couldn’t believe it. She was basically saying that she was ditching me, but I could hang with her if I cleaned up my act.

I didn’t know how to respond to Destiny because her outburst was startling, so I nodded, and changed the subject to the class assignment.

After school, Destiny walked me home. It was unusual because if she’s not in a hurry to get ready for volleyball club, then she’s making out with Joel behind the school dumpsters. Today, she wasn’t doing any of those things. I didn’t want to ask her why she was actually walking home with me because I was trying to enjoy the company. Suddenly, Destiny jerked me behind a bush, and pointed at the Greek God that moved in next to me, strolling down the sidewalk with another boy I didn’t know. Then I knew why she was so enthusiastic to walk home with me.

“That’s Trevor Williams.” She informed. “He’s the new Freshman, and he’s a baseball player. Sexy.” Trevor was wearing cargo shorts, a navy V-neck, and white Vans. Not only was his body hot, or his face, but his style was, too.

“He’s my new neighbor.” I absentmindedly confessed.

Trevor and his friend walked by the bush Destiny and I were hiding behind. When the coast was clear, Destiny dragged me out from behind the bush. “You didn’t tell me this!”

“I really didn’t think much of it,” I pulled my arm out of her grasp.

“You didn’t think much of it? Lee, he’s hot!” And the truth was, Trevor was hot. Sometimes, if not most of the time, Destiny and I don’t see eye-to-eye when it comes to rating boys. She wants a six pack, at least, and beautifully colored eyes; preferably blue. He has to be tall, and must be athletic. I’m more for the personality, and then the looks come afterwards. I just want a cute face; the body isn’t a huge thing for me like it is for most girls.