Chapter Twenty: A Chance

My dad took me to the hospital after school to see Trevor. The drive was pretty quiet; I wished my mom was there to cut the silence between us. When I stepped out of his car, he said, “Tell Trevor that this doesn’t prove his dad right.” I was puzzled. “I’d tell him myself, but I have work. So just pass the message along.”

Trevor never talked about his family. I just found out last Saturday that he had an older sister. My mom refers to Trevor’s as “Ms. Williams”, so I have concluded that she’s not married or anything. I think it’s strange that my dad knows about Trevor’s family dynamic, but I don’t.

Sherlene was delighted to see me when I walked into room 101. Her face lit up when I entered the room. I asked her if she has heard anything from the doctors. She said that Trevor was making great progress, no signs of brain bleeding or anything serious. I braced myself, asking her if they had estimated the damage, and she just smiled, saying that they are assuming it won’t be too bad because it was a post he hit his head on which is minor compared to what it could have been.

“I have to run, but here’s a doctor’s note for the school’s record.” Sherlene handed me a slip of paper. “I think you just give it to his coach.”

“I’ll take it to Roebuck first thing tomorrow,” I said to her.

Sherlene grabbed her purse and walked out of the room. I slipped the piece of paper into my backpack before pulling up a chair to Trevor’s bedside. “I think Roebuck misses you,” I told him. “In P.E., he was talking to a few other friends of yours on the team and they were talking about how they don’t stand a chance against Hultgren Heights without you. I wished you’d wake up, and be better, so you could lead them to victory.

“Oh, who am I kidding? I don’t think you can play sports anymore after this incident. I mean, I wouldn’t want you to.” I ran my fingers through Trevor’s hair. “I fear you’d get hurt again, and worse than this.

“I called Destiny a slut also. I don’t feel that great about it. She said she knew about me staying the night here the night of homecoming. I didn’t exactly admit to it, but luckily, I didn’t tell her that I slept next to you. That would be bad because...”

For a split second, I looked away from Trevor. Then I heard his voice. His voice saying my name.

“What the hell?” I jumped to my feet.

“Got you.” He smiled at me, and he started laughing and jabbing me in the shoulder with his fingers. I stared at him in disbelief.

“Please explain what is going on before I punch you in the throat.” I couldn’t believe this. Why was he awake? Why was he seemingly perfectly fine? Where’s Ashton Kutcher? I feel like I’ve just gotten Punk’d.

“Chill.” Trevor cautiously sat up and leaned against the headboard. “I woke up this morning.”

“But Sher-”

“Sherlene didn’t tell you because I wanted to surprise you.” He smiled that smile I have missed.

“Well you sure as hell surprised the crap out of me.” I put my hands on my hips.

“So my team needs me?” He smirked, tucking his hands behind his head and settling into his hospital bed. “What sport did I play?”

“Football.” I started to relax and I sat down, happy to be talking to Trevor again. “Did you forget a lot of things?”

“Nah.” He shook his head. “I think I lost points in my eyesight, but the doctors said that they’re quite impressed by how well I’ve come out of this. I mean, I’m taking some tests later to determine where my head is at, but other than that, I’m really okay. The doctors are just letting me rest for now. I don’t really know when I’ll be out of here though.”