Chapter Eleven: First Day of Firsts

My alarm clock burst out in buzzes and rings. I rolled out of bed, a smile already pinned to my cheeks as if I had been smiling through my sleep. I dreamed of my first day of my freshman year for the past week. Each night that has gone by, my dreams got more elaborate and I got more excited.

The first dream I had, I entered Emery High School’s campus and eyes popped from heads and jaws hit the floor and seniors winked at me and girls asked me to have lunch with them. Fast forward to the seventh dream—last night’s dream—I entered Emery High School’s campus on a limo and a red carpet rolled out in front of me. I walked, waving at all the students who cheered my name, took the hand of Trevor Williams, who kissed me on the cheek for the flashing cameras.

Now, I know that’s quite an optimistic dream, but I figured that anything could happen. I mean, people were going to see me. I used to be ugly, overweight Charlie Anna Bates. But today, I was the pretty, skinny Charlie Anna Bates.

I tore through my closet, trying to find the perfect outfit for my first day of high school. I would have picked one out last night, but for the past three weeks Roebuck cranked up the workouts, so I was very wary. Right when I got home, I would shower, and fall straight to sleep when my head hit the pillow.

After careful consideration, I decided on my Levi shorts that made my legs look like I got a golden tan this summer and made my toned butt look perky. Then I chose a white, flowy tank top to show off my tight arms and collar bones. I slipped my purple painted toes into grey ballet flats before walking into the restroom where, for the first time, I applied makeup. When I had gone shopping with my mom, she took me to the drugstore where I purchased a load of powder, eye shadow, eyeliner, blush, and brushes. I was so nervous to experiment with the makeup because I knew nothing about it.

Last week, I finally went to my mom and we laughed together as we tried different looks. I wasn’t a fan of the dark makeup, or even the glittery kind because I felt like a four year old, so I stuck to earth tones. Since I’ve been eating healthier, my skin cleared up so I chose to go with the more natural look. I lightly patted a light brown eye shadow on my eyes, and a tiny bit of green on the outer and inner corners to add a little pop. My mom said it brought out my hazel eyes.

I went to Barnes and Noble last week with my mom to buy some new books to read, and I saw this camel colored bag, which I adored. I made it my backpack for this school year. It beat my water and food damaged Jansport backpack from middle school.

Slipping my arms through the straps to my new bag, I walked outside. The sun was warm, but I knew it was going to get hotter throughout the day. The sky was clear, and I could smell the freshly cut grass.

I spotted Trevor, the only person I wanted to see, starting his truck. I skipped through my yard to catch him before he backed out of his driveway. I was so excited and nervous. I could barely hold it in. I felt so invincible. I wanted him to see my transformation. I wanted to see his reaction.

“Hey, care to give me a ride?” I poked my head through Trevor’s window.

“Oh, Charlie.” He smiled at me. “Sure, get in. I got my license just last month.” I hopped into Trevor’s truck.

I met his gaze which was in awe of my transformation, and then, trying to act oblivious to his stare, I said, “Oh yeah, seatbelt.” I yanked the seat belt over my chest, and clicked it into the socket. I met Trevor’s stare again, and he blushed when I asked him, “What?”

He just shook his head. “Nothing,” he grinned, starting his truck. And I know that nothing meant something; it was written all over his face and that was satisfying enough for me.

“How was your summer?” I asked him, knowing in a couple minutes, we would be at school and have to go separate ways for the rest of the day. “It was great. Just football practice, and...” he paused, took another glance at me, then said, “I really want to know what the hell you did this summer. I mean, I haven’t seen you at all and I live right next to you.”