Chapter Sixteen: The Art of Not Caring

On Monday, everybody knew that Trevor and I were going to homecoming together. I got so many girls telling me how lucky I was, and boys telling me that I could be Trevor’s good luck charm for the big game Friday. I was floating on cloud nine.

Well, I was until I sat next to Megan in Spanish. She gave me a glare, but I expected it to be just because that’s the way she looks at everyone all the time.

“Hey,” I said to her before starting on the assignment for class.

“How could you?” She asked, ice in her voice.

“What?”

“You knew your best friend really liked Trevor and you’re just going to go to homecoming with him just to rub it in her face?”

That wasn’t necessarily my plan.

“I mean, just because you got pretty, doesn’t mean you can be a bitch.”

Destiny is pretty, and she’s a huge bitch. What makes me different?

“I hope your homecoming date is worth losing your best friend.” Megan twisted in her chair, now facing the board. I contemplated for a second. My heart was beating so fast because I really wanted to tell Megan what I really thought, but I couldn’t do that.

“I can tell Trevor I can’t go with him after all.” I volunteered. My heart just ached at the thought of dumping Trevor.

“Don’t even bother.” Megan looked at me, her silver eyes like darts in my stomach. “You still said yes and hurt Des.”

It was silent between Megan and I throughout class. I shut down and kept thinking about Destiny and how I was going to fix this with her. I thought it was alright because she was going to homecoming with Derek Brand, but I guess not.

At lunch, I told Casey what happened as we were placing books on the shelves. I told her how Destiny was going to homecoming with Derek, how Trevor asked me, how Megan made me feel horrible, and how I don’t know how to fix this.

“What’s there to fix?” She took a bite of her sub, and wiped her hand before picking up another book and placing it on the shelf.

“Destiny is mad at me, Casey.” I felt like my voice was a broken record now.

“So...? Let her be mad.” She shrugged.

“I can’t. I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Exactly.”

“But she thinks I did something wrong,” I was becoming annoyed. Casey was just not understanding the urgency of this situation. “And I don’t want her to think—”

“Who cares what Destiny Drew Thompson thinks, Charlie?” Casey barked. I looked over my shoulder at her, and she wouldn’t meet my eyes.

“I care...” I mumbled.

Casey sighed. “Well, stop caring so much.”

I didn’t think Casey heard me, but I guess I was louder than I meant to be. After we finished organizing shelf H, we finished our subs at the tables placed in the center of the library. I didn’t say anything because I felt Casey was really annoyed with me. I didn’t blame her.

“You know how you have Destiny’s diary still?”

I forgot I told Casey about that when she spent the night.

“It has all those juicy secrets of hers, right?”

I haven’t even read much of it, but I’m sure it does.

“We can get revenge by writing her secrets on pieces of paper and sneaking them to her to freak her out.”

I didn’t know Casey had a bad side.

“It’s just a crazy thought.”

“I like it,” I smirked. The bell rang. Casey and I threw away our trash from lunch, said goodbye to the librarian, and walked to photography class together.

“It might be too mean,” she said.

“But Destiny kind of deserves it...” I added.

“True, but we’ll save it for later when she really deserves it. Right now, it’s petty stuff.” Casey flicked her hand. “I’m happy you have a date for homecoming. That’s exciting.”

At least she’s supportive unlike my supposed best friend Destiny.

“Are you going to the game Friday?” I asked as we entered the photography classroom, which was a portable behind the school building itself. I guess they added photography recently and didn’t have a spare classroom on campus.

“To the game, but not the dance.” Casey and I sat down at our usual table with Desiree, Maria, and Danielle. “Dances really aren’t my thing.”

“Hey guys.” I greeted my group of friends.

“Are you guys talking about homecoming?” asked Desiree, wide-eyed.

“Yeah, are you guys going?” I asked.

“We wish.” The three sighed.

“You need a date to get into the dance.” Casey rolled her eyes. “Tell me how that’s fair.”

And then I remembered what I was thinking about when Casey fell asleep on the lawn chair the previous weekend. Girls, no matter what society says, deserve to feel beautiful.

“You four should pair up and go together,” I suggested.

“Dances aren’t my thing,” Casey repeated.

“Two girls can’t go to the dance as a couple,” Maria whispered as if what she informed was a big secret.

“Who said?” I replied.

“Well, I don’t know. I’m sure it’s a rule somewhere,” said Maria. “People’ll think we’re lesbians.”

“You’re so much like Charlie.” Casey rolled her eyes. “Always obsessing over what people are thinking ‘bout you.”

“Look, I think it’s a great idea, and I’ll do your guys’ makeup and you’ll look amazing.” I said, ignoring Casey’s comment.

“I’m up for it,” Danielle said softly. Maria reluctantly agreed, and Desiree agreed solemnly. I think I was coming onto a great idea.

If I were close to any guys, I’d pair my friends up with them. Then again, I’d hate for them to get ditched and to cry for days on how they thought they looked good that night. It should be fun, not stressful and heartbreaking. Maybe it’s better to go to a school function with friends instead of a date.

Throughout photography class, Casey and I passed notes discussing plans for homecoming. She said she knew a place in Porterville where they could get custom dresses. I was thinking of the makeup tutorials I was going to have to watch if I was going to do four girls’ makeup.

After class, I confirmed the plans with everyone. I was happy that they were giddy with excitement. I know what it’s like to feel unimportant when a guy doesn’t come around to make you feel special and to have a best friend that outshines you in everything. I think those feelings helped me to relate to Casey, Desiree, Maria, and Danielle. Now they could have a good time and not sit around thinking about what they have to change in order to get people to like them. I know exactly what that’s like.