Chapter Twenty-Six: Bad Reputation

I woke up in clothes, in a bed, in a room, in a house that wasn’t mine. I sprung up. The room didn’t look familiar, so I thought I was dreaming. Then I saw my homecoming dress on a hanger spilling onto the wood floor as it hung from the door knob. Unfortunately, last night wasn’t a nightmare, and this was Trevor’s bedroom.

His trophies were cased in a cabinet in the corner. He had baseball bats hanging from a rack. Framed team pictures were lined up above his headboard. His comforter was navy blue, but his pillow case was white and had soccer balls, baseballs, footballs, and golf balls printed on it. No wonder it’s been hard for him to move on because he’s surrounded by memories of his sports career.  

Suddenly, I heard footsteps gradually getting closer, louder outside the bedroom door. I flopped back on the bed and pulled the blanket to my chin. Pretending to be asleep, I tried depicting who was entering Trevor’s bedroom.

I felt a presence standing by the bed, and I felt the presence lean forward. Maybe it was Trevor and he was going to kiss me. A finger lightly brushed my lips. I knew in order to make my sleeping believable, I had to pretend I just woke up. I rolled onto my back, stretched a bit, and slowly opened my eyes.

“Well, hello sleepy head.” Trevor smiled. I was so happy it was him. “I let you sleep in because I had a doctor’s appointment.” He sprawled out on the bed below my feet.

“What’d they say?” I asked, sitting up.

“That I’m lucky,” He answered. I know we were talking normally, but it felt like there was a thick wall between us.

“Sports?” I asked hesitantly.

“Maybe never.” He sighed.

“Sooo...” I tried thinking of what to change the subject to. I laughed looking at my homecoming dress. “My dress?” I pointed to my dress hanging on Trevor’s doorknob. He glanced at me and smiled that little boy smile I hadn’t seen in a long time.

“It looked uncomfortable, so I took it off.” He winked. I quickly looked away, stifling a nervous laugh. My face felt hot. “I’m just kiddin’. My mom dressed you in pajamas I never wear.”

“She’s okay with... this?” I asked, flaring my arms out.

“Yeah.” Trevor nodded. “I just explained to her that the dance got out of hand and you needed a place to stay for the night.” I don’t think Trevor knew that I was really at a party, or that I got caught in bed with Rustin.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

I wanted to tell him the truth.

“No problem,” He said. “How was dancing with McDarment?”

I just don’t want to lose him again.

“Awful!” I exclaimed. Trevor laughed, flipping onto his side.

“Wasn’t what you thought it’d be, huh?”

“Yeah, I think watching so much TV is catching up to me now.”

“I want to be honest with you, Charlie.” Trevor gripped my toes through the comforter, seemingly studying them as I waited for him to continue. “I didn’t really like that you were actually going to homecoming... with Rustin.”

“But you-”

“I know, but it still bothered me.” Trevor gazed up at me. His blue eyes made me smile, but I was still upset on the inside that he ignored me for a month and then told me he’s upset that I went to homecoming with someone else. “Look at your hair.” He stretched his arm towards me and ran his fingers through my messy, bed hair.