Chapter Thirteen: High School 101

Sppt,” I gazed up at Trevor who was hissing at me through cupped hands. “Sppt, calling the beautiful Charlie. Over.” I raised my eyebrow at him, slightly grinning at his childlike behavior. “Charlie? Over.” Trevor put his hands down, and smiled at me.

Casey giggled. Putting my hand over my mouth, I whispered, “Accepting request from Trevor. Charlie’s secretary speaking. Over.”

“Would Charlie’s secretary ever so kindly ask Charlie if she would like to go to lunch? I have reservations at Taco Bell. Over.”

“She’ll have to check her calendar and get back to you later. Over.” I really had plans to eat lunch with Megan. She wanted to go over the cheer with me, so I would have a better chance of making it, but I would give that up for Trevor any day.

Trevor leaned over his desk, and whispered to me, “You’re coming rather you like it or not.”

“You’re so fucking cheesy, dude. I can’t stand you lovebirds.” Roy shook his head.

“I think it’s cute.” Casey piped in.

“Working, not talking,” Mr. Fjelstrom ordered from his desk. The four of us bowed our heads, staring at our blank worksheets.

I glanced over at Trevor to find him already looking at me. I smiled, returning my eyes back to my paper. It’s so hard to want to enjoy the attention from Trevor when I have Destiny’s voice stuck in my head. I want my best friend back, but if that means giving up a guy I never would have had a chance with in the first place, I don’t really know if I want to.

Maybe being Rustin’s girlfriend wouldn’t be so bad. I mean, Destiny dates guys when she has feelings for somebody else. Besides, Alyssa is such a sweetheart. Now that we’re actually good friends, I don’t think I could date her boyfriend. Maybe if I still hated her because I was jealous of her, I’d do it. But I like her. And I want her to like me, too.

In Spanish, Megan passed me a neatly folded piece of notebook paper. I cautiously unfolded it under my desk as Ms. Sanchez was teaching a lesson on the history of Spain. The note read:

Did Destiny tell you the news?

I replied:

What news?

Megan sighed. When Ms. Sanchez’s back was turned, she scribbled onto the paper:

Rustin is into you!

Absentmindedly, I smiled. I wrote:

Alyssa?

Ms. Sanchez clapped. Startled, Megan wadded the paper up in her fist and tucked it under her leg. After Ms. Sanchez announced the homework, she dismissed the class. I stuffed my Spanish textbook into my bag as Megan began to explain.

“Alyssa and Rustin are like, having issues. I don’t know what’s up with that, but I think they’re broken up.” She paused. “Alyssa bothers the heck out of me. Oh my God.”

“Oh,” was all I could say.

“Charlie,” she shouted, her face lighting up as if she had the greatest idea ever thought of. I stood up, looking down at her as she remained seated. “If you were to hook up with him while he is still with Alyssa, that’d be scandalous.”

“No, I couldn’t—”

“I know.” Her face fell. “But if you did, I’d give you major props.”

“Okay.”

Megan stood up as I made my way to the door. “Are you still up for lunch?”

“Oh,” I immediately felt guilty. “I actually have other plans.”