Chapter Twenty-Five: Crowned

Casey, Desiree, Maria, and Danielle were in my bedroom armed with makeup and hair products when I was done taking a shower. Casey unzipped the black plastic around the custom dress she purchased for me. When she pulled out the long, silver strapless dress, I was in awe.

“I thought it said Homecoming Princess.” She smiled at me. I held the dress up by the hanger. I adored the way the glitter reflected the colors of the rainbow in the light. When I put it on, it hugged my waist and hips, making me feel skinnier than I was.

“Now hair time!” Desiree untangled my hair from the towel I had wrapped it in. She draped the towel over my shoulder like a shaw. After she blow dried it, she started straightening it while Maria did my makeup. I was wearing white, open toed pumps, so Casey was painting my toe nails a blood red and Danielle painted my fingernails the same color.

“This must be what it feels like for celebrities before they walk the red carpet.” I chuckled. When my friends were done, Casey covered my eyes as they led me to the restroom. She moved her hands and my reflection scared me. I didn’t think I could look this beautiful.

“I tried keeping it natural.” Maria noted. She gave me a black smokey eye, added pale pink lip gloss to my lips, and a little pat of blush. My skin looked flawless and I felt so amazing.

“So tell us about your date with Jason last night,” Desiree said to the mirror. My friends oohed as they made the rim of the bathtub into a couch. I just glanced at Casey who slightly frowned.

“It wasn’t really a date.” I confessed.

“But he asked you to his gig without even telling Case that he was planning to?” Maria questioned. “That says date to me.”

Desiree, Maria, Danielle, and I gazed over at Casey expectantly. I really wanted to know what Casey knew about Jason’s thoughts of me that she wasn’t sharing. The two are really close, so I assume Jason has mentioned something about me. “Don’t look at me,” Casey threw her hands in the air. “I don’t know what he was thinking.”

“Lies,” Maria scoffed.

“I know he thinks you’re pretty, Lee. Why was he an ass last night? I don’t know.” said Casey sympathetically. And I believed Casey because I know she would tell me what last night was all about if she knew.

“Sorry that happened.” Danielle softly smiled.

“It’s okay, guys.” I reassured my friends. “I really wasn’t into Jason all that much.” My friends giggled as they whispered Trevor’s name and my face reddened.

“Wait a minute,” Desiree said. “How’d you guys get home if Jason was drunk off his ass?” Casey and my eyes met; the two of us then bursting into laughter.

“Well, first of all,” I stood in front of my friends, recalling the story on how Jason passed out and how I couldn’t tell my parents about this and how I had this idea and how we carried Jason to his car and how at eleven at night the two of us drove from Fresno to Visalia without attracting the cops. I remember feeling a bit invincible as I drove and stayed clear of police cars. Trevor was right, nobody really cares enough to check for your license.

“It was the craziest thing I’ve done in my life,” Casey noted. “Ever.” My friends gawked at Casey as she told her perception of what happened last night. I sat next to Danielle and laughed and enjoyed Casey’s silly facial expressions and outrageous thoughts she had when I was behind the steering wheel.

After the story was over, Casey and I worked on doing Desiree’s, Danielle’s, and Maria’s hair and makeup. Casey took over my bedroom, so I worked on Desiree’s make-up in the restroom. While I was painting Desiree’s eyelid with silver eyeshadow, she told me about how she’s been taking my advice on exercise and diet.