Chapter Eight

John didn't finish his essay that night. In fact, the next morning, Alexander had to drag John out of bed and force John to type it with the raging hangover he had. 

"Alexander! Don't make me do this! It's due in like 5 hours! It can wait! I need to sleep!" John groaned, shooting an angry glare at his roommate. 

"John."

John heaved a sigh and continued to type the essay. He could feel Alexander's eyes boring into the back of his head, so he spun around to his expectant roommate.

"Are you done?" Alexander asked sweetly, knowing the answer perfectly well. 

"Shut up, Alex."

Alexander just laughed and stood up, gathering his books.

"Well, I have to get to class. See ya later, John." Alexander called, closing the door behind him and leaving John to complete the essay. 

Once he heard Alexander's footsteps fade, John saved his essay and slammed his computer screen shut. 

"I heard that, John! Keep writing!" Alexander's voice floated from the other side of the door, and John was ready to scream at his roommate.

--

The week flew by, and with Alexander preparing for debate in class (which he was not going to lose to Jefferson), John was lonely. But nonetheless, he helped Alexander all he could (by refilling coffee cups and offering encouragement). It was the day.

"Today instead of a law lecture, we will be debating the topic of whether a Federalized Government is the best choice for our country. You all should have done some research on this topic. I will now be assigning the partners." Dr. Washington said, holding the list of the students in the class.

"Samuel Seabury and James Madison, Angelica Schuyler and Aaron Burr—"

The class was slowly grouping into their partners until only two people remained. 

"—Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson."

Immediately, the two boys' eyes met, their gazes filled with hatred. Alexander knew which side of the argument he wanted and was internally praying that he got it. 

"Alright, the first person I called in your group takes opposition."

Alexander's heart sunk as he examined his notes. Most of them were not for the opposition, but he would have to make due. Luckily, Thomas seemed just as deterred as he felt. 

"Mister Professor!" Thomas exclaimed, "Are we allowed to switch?"

"No. You need to learn to be able to take both sides of the argument. This is only an exercise, not real life, but you need to learn to support your client if you are required to." Washington said stubbornly, causing both Thomas and Alexander to groan. 

"Timer begins now. For state your opening claims. Then allow the Opposition to cross-examine your statements. Then switch when this timer rings. Go!"

"Well, Hamilton, our country needs a Federalized government." Thomas spit out those words like it was physically paining him; which it probably was, for Thomas opposed the idea of a Federalized government. "If our country was to allow the states to run themselves, we would go crazy. Each state would be fighting each other for the rules and we would be in complete and utter chaos. All of our interests and power would be divided between all the states and our country would be in a state of turmoil. It is completely irresponsible of us to disregard the system in our country that has had in place for hundreds of years. Now, Hamilton, let's see if you can find anything even slightly wrong in my speech. But I wouldn't expect much from a stupid immigrant anyways."