Chapter Six

Xiumin was finding it frustrating how the police weren't being of much help to their emergency. His brother, who hardly ever left the house, was missing and they weren't offering any aid whatsoever. By that time, his dad had joined them and was more worked up than both Xiumin and Mrs. Kim were at the predicament. 

"What the hell do you mean there's nothing you can do?" he said, his face almost burning red in anger. "My son is missing and you're telling me there is nothing you can do to help me find him?" 

"Not entirely, sir," the young policeman said. "I'm saying that until 48 hours has passed, we can only assume that he ran away and hope he returns."

"Can't you file a missing person's report?" he questioned, eyebrows creased slightly. 

"Legally, not until 48 hours have passed," he replied, shrugging his shoulders and shaking his head. He let out a frustrated puff of air and shook his head in annoyance. "Look, sir, it's only been a day since he's been gone," the officer continued. "You can't be so sure that he was kidnapped. He could have run away."

"You don't get it, do you?" Mr. Kim said, about ready to jump over the desk and slap the officer across the face. "My son is not the type of kid who would run away. He only leaves the house to go to school and never goes out. He doesn't party or hang out with his friends...he's always been like that. He couldn't have possibly run away."

"Well, actually..." Xiumin started to say, his cheeks going red as the eyes around him were pointed in his direction. "I-I sort of let him go to a party last weekend with Baekhyun."

"What?" Mrs. Kim said, stepping forward so that she could look her son in the face. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Because I didn't think he'd go missing afterward," Xiumin said as he shrugged lightly. "A-And he never shows interest in those things, so I thought that maybe he wanted to try something different, you know?"

"Well, things certainly changed, that's for sure," Mr. Kim said. "I lost a son." Xiumin, who was being pelted by guilt now, dropped his eyes to the ground. 

"Okay," the cop said, speaking while motioning with his hands, "here's what I can do for right now. I can take down all the information you have and then keep it until 48 hours have passed. Then, you can come back in and we'll file a missing person's report and start an investigation. But I'm afraid that's all I can do for you today, I'm sorry." The mother and father looked at each other and Mrs. Kim shook her head and shrugged lightly. 

"What other choice to do we have?" she said. Mr. Kim exhaled heavily and rubbed his face, pinching the bridge of his nose afterward. 

"Fine," he said with another sigh, his hands falling atop of his thighs as he spoke. "Let's do that."

"Okay," the officer said. "I'll need to ask your other son some questions since he seems like he knows the most."

"Sure," Xiumin said, nodding his head as he stepped up to the desk. Right as the policeman was gathering a piece of paper and a pen, a man walked into the station and came to stand next to Mr. Kim. 

"Hello, sir," the secretary behind the desk said with a warm smile gracing her lips. "How may I help you today?"

"Uh, yes, I'd like to file a missing person's report," he said, scratching the back of his neck. 

"Okay, for whom?" 

"My son," he said. "His name is Jongin, Kim Jongin." Xiumin turned his head and furrowed his eyebrows at the name. Kim Jongin was missing, too? he thought to himself.

"Alright, how long has your son been missing for?" she inquired as she looked up at him. 

"Uh, not long," he said, "but I know he must have been kidnapped or something. He wasn't at school today and he's not been the best kid, but he definitely wouldn't miss school."