Girl Meets Friendship

"Democracy." Cory started teaching this week's lesson, "Our form of government where the power lies with the people. So who here can tell me another form of government where the power doesn't lie with the people?"

"Farkle!" Cory called on the only person who ever raised their hand.

"Thank you, sir. Dictators. Love 'em. They get to do whatever they want. I wanna be one someday" Farkle said somewhat evilly.

"Mr. Friar!" Cory exclaimed as Lucas rushed in late.

"Sorry for being late, sir. My flight was delayed." He said rushing to his seat and giving me a sweet smile.

"You went back to Texas again this weekend?" I asked, it was the third weekend in a row he had left.

"Visited my friends." he confirmed.

"He misses his old friends." Riley observed.

"Aww. Cowboy's got the blues." Maya said before starting to sing in a country accent, "campfire for one, My friends are all cows And I miss 'em Ha-hur, ha-hur-hur... Ha-hur..." Lucas just stared at her amused, "I will never get to you, will I?"

"No, but I sure do appreciate the effort." He reached over and ruffled her hair.

Maya slumped angrily, "Ooh!"

"Okay, guys, ninth grade student council elections are coming up." Cory said sitting on his desk. We all groaned.

"Why that?" Riley asked me.

"Because every year somebody runs, makes promises and nobody does anything." I explained.

"Yeah. What lunkhead's running the elections this year?" Riley asked.

"How ya doing?" Cory said raising his eyebrows.

"Can't you just make a change?" Maya asked him.

"You know what? It's up to you guys to make changes. Since we're studying alternate forms of governments this year, why not let the candidates run in any form of government they choose?" Cory said smiling at his new idea.

"Yay." Farkle said slowly.

"So any nominations?" Cory asked.

"I, Farkle, nominate I, Farkle, for dictator." Farkle stood up.

"You can't nominate yourself, Farkle." Cory chuckled.

"I'll nominate him," Liam said.

"Really?" Farkle asked confused.

"Yeah. I like ya. I got your back." Liam said patting Farkle's back.

"I thought you had my back." Farkle said to Lucas accusingly.

"I got his back." Lucas said defensively.

"It's a little hard to have someone's back when you are never here," I said sharply.

"Whoa, easy there, harmonica. Listen to Vi, she is always right," Liam said winking at me.

"Why are you here again?" Lucas asked ignoring my comment and getting annoyed with Liam as usual.

"He's in this class, he's like the rebel." Maya explained.

"Well, what am I?" Lucas asked.

"Oh, you're the good guy. You're our moral compass." Riley answered.

"Wow. That sounds hard to pull off." Lucas commented.

"Yeah, but you're really good at it." I said.