Chapter 15~"the proposal"

Monday, 12:00pm.
Christmas Eve.
"Grandpa! Grandma!" Kaiden says excitedly. We walk into Brent's parents house, there's two big windows surrounding the front doors, the closet doors are two mirrors, there's a small table with a small bowl of mints. We take off our shoes and coats.
"Oh it's so good to see you." Audrey (Brent's mother) says going to hug Brent.
"It's good to see you." He says back.
"Come on in, there's snacks, music, everything you need!" Samuel (Brent's dad) motioning his hands towards the rest of the house.
We set our bags down and Kaiden goes to hug his grandparents. Everyone's happy, and cheery. I'm just relieved that Kaiden does have more of a family, a supportive family. Not like what I had.
"Mommy, aren't you happy to be here? For Christ-masd." I'm surprised on how well he's talking and learning so fast.
"Of course I'm happy to be here." I kiss the top of his head and he goes running to the living room. The living room, kitchen, dining room, and the hallway that leads to the bedrooms is connected. It's very open. The kitchen is small, but with a big fridge and a lot of cabinets. There are bar stools and the other side of the counter on the right. The counter top is marbled with blue, white and black. They have the normal kitchen accessories like: a coffee machine, toaster, microwave.

     I go into the living room where everyone is sitting and talking. The couch is a light cream colour, the Christmas tree is in front of the windows, the tree is tall and full. I sit down and there's a small tube tv beside the fire place. Kaiden and Brent sit in the chair beside the couch.
"It's so nice here." I say looking around once more.
"So Madeline tell me, how are you? I know you've been through a lot in the past years." She says putting both of her hands on my right hand. I can feel her breathing on my neck.
"Uh...yeah I'm okay." She doesn't know everything which is good.
"Well I hope things get better for you." She smiles.
"You too." I'm not sure if that's the right thing to say or not.
"I think it's time for snacks!" Samuel says enthusiastically, he gets up and heads to the fridge. Kaiden watches him with a huge grin.
"Go see grandpa." Brent says tickling him.
"Okay." He jumps off of Brent and runs towards Samuel.
"Hey, cheer up." Brent comes up to me and I stand up to hug him. I guess I've been a bit stressed today, I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's just the fact that I've lost all of my family, or that I will have to tell Kaiden about the past. He's only four years old and will be five in seven days, I'm going to be twenty two in February. I'm just hoping the new year is going to be good.

                             6:24.
We all sit at dining table, putting food on our plates. There's so much, chicken, turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and so much more.
We all eat,talk and listen to the Christmas music. I'm so glad we came down here.
"What should we do tonight? There's ice skating, we can just stay here and watch a movie." Samuel is always so happy and energetic.
"Why don't we just stay here tonight." Audrey says grabbing a piece of bread.
"Daddy, can I sleep in your bed tonight?" He laughs.
"Of course buddy." Brent shoves more food into his mouth.

                             8:00pm.
       "I have something for you Kaiden!" Audrey says going into her bedroom. She comes back out with Santa Claus pyjamas.
"Ohhh." He runs up to her and hugs her.
"Go put them on." She says. He runs into the hallway and gets confused while looking for the bathroom.
"Found it!" He says slamming the door.
We all sit and listen to the music and end up singing along. Kaiden comes out of the bathroom singing.
"Hey cutie." I say and he comes to sit on my lap.
"Have you guys thought about your future?" I look to Brent and see his eyes widen.
"No, not really." I say looking to him and he laughs.

                   Christmas Day.
                Tuesday, 8:46am.
     "Mom, dad! Wake up!" Kaiden says while jumping on the bed. We both roll over and don't say anything.
"It's Christmas." He says in such a soft, innocent voice. I look over at Brent and see that he stars to breath heavily.
"Kaiden go to the living room with mom, I'll come meet you out there." I get up and take his hand. He pulls me down the hallway and Audrey stands up and smiles.
"Good morning!" She says happily.
"Hi!" Kaiden goes to sit on the couch.
"Want a coffee?" Samuel asks pulling out cream and sugar.
"That'd be great, thanks." I sit beside Kaiden.
"We'll start gifts in a bit." Audrey says sitting beside me.

      After We all finished our coffee, we opened gifts. Kaiden opened most of his already and is extremely happy with what he got.
"Mad..." Brent says nervously I sit beside him and hug him. He brushes me off and stands up and grabs my right hand. Audrey and Samuel have a huge smile on their faces.
"What's happening?" I ask. He kneels down. He's proposing.
"Madeline, The love of my life. We have been through so much together, you have forgotten me, we've been in fights, but I will always love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you so, Will you Marry me?" I'm filled with so many emotions. He puts the ring on my ring finger and he kisses me.
"I love you." I wipe the tears from my eyes and hug him.
"Now it's time to think about your future." Audrey says in a mocking tone. I laugh.
"Yes Audrey." I spit out sarcastically.
"Mom, so you're getting married?" He pulls at the bottom of my pants.
"Yes, yes...Oh my god." I'm so happy, excited, and relieved. I'm relieved because I now know that he wasn't lying to me about how much he loved me.