Chapter 6

It's the following afternoon and practice has just ended. I'm sitting in my office watching soccer clips to get some new ideas for the team. I hear a light knock at the door and turn to see Harry. He's clad in his usual polo and pants, glasses perched on his nose. His hair's pulled up into a bun out of his face. I watch as he fiddles with his fingers. 

"Louis, can we... talk?" I shut the lid of my computer and turn back towards him. He takes a step in and shuts the door. 

"What's up?" 

"It's about... us," He mutters. My heart drops to my toes. This is never a good talk. I didn't know there's an 'us' to talk about, but I guess there is. "I don't... think... we should talk. I mean... it's been nice, but I don't think this is... healthy," He stammers. 

I glance down to his hands. He's fiddling with his hands, probably a nervous habit, but I notice a ring. It's silver, but has  been worn out like he's been wearing it for years. He isn't... married is he? My whole body freezes as I imagine Harry being married.  

"What do you mean it isn't healthy? We're just friends... there's nothing unhealthy about it. You aren't married... are you?" Harry's eyes go big and he shakes his head. I watch as he loosens the bun on his head, probably thinking. 

"I just... you. I can't with you. You make me... feel things. Things that I'm not allowed to feel towards you," Harry sighs. He starts pacing across the room, making my anxiety skyrocket. 

"Is it good things? Like nerves?" Did he like me? I stand and take a step towards him, pulling him towards me so he stops pacing. He looks me in the eyes and gulps. I watch as his eyes nervously graze over my face. He shakes his head and looks down at his hands instead. 

"I can't do this...I just can't," He whispers. I can hear the shakiness in his voice as he speaks. I lift his head up so he's looking at me. He tries to turn away, obviously embarrassed, but I keep our eyes locked. 

"You can't just leave me like that. Have you thought about how I feel," I whisper back.

"Everyday I think about how you feel, Louis, and I just can't...please," He mutters. He tries to back away, but I pull him closer. My minds goes on auto-pilot as I lean forwards and connect our lips.  

A thousand feelings swarm me in a matter of seconds. It's like there's a dam unleashing all it's waters at once. He wraps his arms around my waist and holds me close as he deepens the kiss. My hands go to his neck and for some reason it feels... natural. It feels like my body already knows how to work with his. 

"I missed you so much," Harry whispers. I keep the distance short so I can still reach forwards and peck his lips. They're like drugs. 

"What do you mean?" I'm too focused on kissing him to really hear what he's saying. I don't want to have a deep discussion about my feelings, I just want to kiss him. 

"I have something I need to tell you," Harry sighs. He steps away from me and I groan. Why did we have to do this now? Couldn't we have this talk later? 

"What?"

"We knew each other in high school. Really well actually," Harry starts. I furrow my eyebrows. Mom never said anything about Harry whenever we talked about high school. Why would she leave him out? I think back to her tense attitude when I mentioned him. 

"We were friends," I ask slowly. Harry looks at his hands and twirls the ring a couple of times. 

"Something like that," He whispers. 

"What do you mean, something like that?" I demand. Harry walks towards the door and gives me one last, sad, look. I can tell that whatever it is, it's eating him up inside. 

"I'm really sorry, Louis, but I can't talk to you anymore. I wasn't even supposed to see you after high school, everyone told me that it would be unhealthy and that if I were to...heal properly you couldn't be in the picture," Harry cries. I don't know when he started crying, but I now notice the tears slipping down his rosy cheeks. 

"What's going on, Harry? What am I missing? You can't just leave me like this! You obviously know something," I scream. I feel my own tears start to fill my eyes. I'm so desperate for him to stay and explain what's going on. I hate not knowing.

"I'm really sorry, Louis. Please, delete my number," Harry whispers. I watch pathetically as he slips out of my office. I plop back on my chair and sit there, allowing myself to cry. I hear the door open and watch as Payne walks in. 

"Coach? Are you okay? Do I need to call Zayn?" I give a small nod. The only thing I want right now is to be with my best friend. Zayn always knows how to cheer me up. I hear Liam pull out his phone and call him. A moment later the door opens and I feel familiar hands wrap around me. 

"Liam, can you lock up? I'm gonna take Louis home," Zayn explains. Zayn rubs my back as I stand and grab my things. I hate crying over something as pathetic as a boy. Zayn walks me to his car, not wanting me to drive home. 

"Louis... what's up," Zayn asks. I feel a little better by the time we get back to the house. The crying has left me empty and emotionless. I can go for a nap. Zayn and I are sitting on the couch. I sip from a cup of tea while Zayn watches me. 

"Harry said that we couldn't talk anymore," I say quietly. Zayn gives a small nod. 

"I know that he's important to you, I know that, but I also know you. You don't cry over things like that, Louis. There's something else this is all coming from." I felt like we were both back in high school. When Stan broke up with me the first time, Zayn came and he made tea and we just talked. It was nice to have moments like this where I wasn't forced to be some hardened coach or hold up a masculine exterior. I like knowing I can be vulnerable in front of someone like this.  

"There's something he isn't telling me and I hate not knowing what happened. It's my life I should know more than anyone else about me. Because of that stupid accident I don't have control of my life anymore. I keep putting it behind me, but things just keep coming up like this," I complain .

"Hey, how about this weekend I take you around the town to things that held significance and see if it helps with anything," Zayn suggests. 

"That would be great." 

~_~_~

Hey guys! Feelings on Harry? Hate him, love him? Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! ~B