Chapter 9

Today was Thursday and Thursday meant game day. Game day was always a hectic day. It was after school and the boys were in the gym getting mentally prepared. I was outside, setting up waters so my boys didn't die of thirst while playing. I had reminded them multiple times to do it themselves, but they always forgot and I couldn't risk my athletes not have water. 

"Louis?" I turn, opening my mouth to yell at an athlete for using my first name. I stop as I see Harry standing at the gate. 

"What are you doing here?" I quickly set the waters down and try to busy myself getting the bench lined up. 

He was clad in his familiar bun and glasses, but instead of his normal button down shirt he wore a neon yellow shirt. It took me a second to recognize it as the 2009 school soccer shirt. The front showing the school mascot and the back having a list of all the players by positions. 

"I just wanted to wish the team luck," He says. "And tell you that I would be coming to the game tonight," He adds. I look down at my 2016 soccer shirt and try to straighten it, hoping to find a way to keep my hands busy. The reality of what he was saying hits me and I become angry. 

"What happened to you staying away from me? I thought you said that you didn't want to be around me, yet you come to my game. That's being a little bitchy don't you think?" I try not to sound harsh, but I couldn't help it. It was a constant on-again-off-again situation and I was tired of it. One second he wants to stay away from me and now he wants to come out to my game to spend even more time around me. 

"Not everything is about you, I'm coming because I want to see the game. My students are on your team and they asked me to come. You should pull your head out of your ass and realize that not everything it always about you Lou-is." He huffs loudly and turns away from me. I try not to notice his near slip up with my name. He nearly called me Lou. 

"Stop! Harry come back, I...I'm sorry. I just...don't understand. You want to stay away from me, but you do things that constantly puts in situations where we end up being together," I protest. I walk towards him and grab his arm. I turn him to face me, not wanting him to walk away from this conversation. 

"You don't have to understand it to respect it. Every time I even come close to you, you always...bring us together...like this," He sighs. We were close at this point, our chests nearly touching. I could feel his breath fanning across my face. I wanted so badly to close the distance between us, but I couldn't. He would hate me. I would hate me. Kissing him would only make me want to be closer to him and I couldn't risk that. Unlike it, I intended on keeping to my word. 

"I can't help it. I feel drawn towards you. Every time you come around here I think about the kiss and my feelings for you intensify," I whisper. He takes a step back and tucks a stray piece of hair behind his ear. 

"Stay away from me Coach," He mutters. I let him go, knowing if I demanding on him staying it would only end in more tears. I watch as he runs back towards the building. 

I think back to his shirt. We both graduated in 2010, but he was wearing a 2009 shirt. Mr. Cowell did give out old school t-shirts, but it was so specific. 2009 was our junior year and Harry didn't go to school then. I may have forgotten all of senior year, but I remembered junior and I know I would've remembered Harry. I push it from my thoughts, deciding instead to turn my attention to winning the game. 

~_~_~

"Zayn," I call. The game was over and I was at home. We had won, which was to be expected. It was nearly eleven at this point and I was hungry and confused. 

I walk into the living room and find Zayn on the couch. He was wearing his Simpsons sweats. He had a thing with his sweatpants. He would wear different sweats for different occasions. Simpsons meant a date, Garfield meant bad day, and typical he wore his pizza sweats after he got laid. He wasn't like he did it on purpose. It was more of a subconscious thing, I think. 

"When's Liam coming over," I question, pointing at the sweats. He looks down and blushes. He had been trying to prove that my sweats theory wasn't true, but for the last year it had been pretty accurate. 

"Oh, he said he was going to come around later tonight. He told his parents he was staying at a friend's house, so he might spend the night here," Zayn explains. I roll my eyes, why did I see this coming? The one night I needed to talk to Zayn about something his boy toy was coming over. 

"If you don't mind I'm going to watch a movie in a few. I can wait till he gets here so you can watch it with us, if you want," Zayn suggests. I shrug. I head to the bathroom, hoping to get a shower before Liam comes. I'm not long and get out a few minutes later wearing cozy clothes. I head back into the living room to find Liam sitting on our couch. 

"Hey Payne," I mutter. He glances up from his phone and smiles at me. 

"Nice game tonight Coach," He replies. Zayn walks in carrying two movies a moment later. 

"Payne, do me a favor and call me Louis outside of school. It feels awkward to be called Coach or Mr. Tomlinson at my house," I tell him, he nods as I head into the kitchen. I pull out a frozen pizza and wait for the oven to preheat. 

"Louis what do you want to watch, Grease or High School Musical," Zayn asks. I poke my head into the living room and pretend to think. 

"That's a stupid question, Grease. I put in a meat pizza by the way. You're not vegetarian, right Payne?" I ask. He shakes his head no. 

"Hey Louis, could you call me Liam when we're not at school? I mean if we'll be spending more time together I'd rather you call me by my name. When I hear Payne I think I'm at practice or about to get yelled at," Liam asks. I shrug. 

"Okay, Liam. Sounds fair to me," I tell him. I take my usual spot on the couch and pull my blanket over my body. Zayn takes his seat next to Liam and pulls him into his arms. All night watching Liam and Zayn only made me wish I could be that way with Harry. 

Maybe some day. 

~_~_~

Hey guys. The chapters are getting fairly easier to edit now and I may be able to do them closer together. However, if you're reading Mum's Best Friend please be patient. I've had some writer's block in the middle of chapters so don't expect as frequent updates. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed! ~B