Chapter 4

I pride myself in being one of the first people to work. There is always something nice about getting to work and being the first one to turn the lights on and get ready. However, when I pull into the parking lot the following morning I find two cars parked in the teacher parking lot already. 

Both cars look familiar, however it's too early for my mind to place where I know them form. I grab my duffel bag from the backseat before heading inside the gym. I let my duffel slide off my shoulder taking no time in getting comfy. Instead, I grab my keys and go to investigate. 

I can't look suspicious. I find myself walking down the hall from the gym to the front entrance. The lights aren't turned on in the front office yet, which is a slight relief. I find myself strolling down the hall, stopping when I see a lit-up hallway. 

I look both ways to make sure nobody is near me before easing my way down the hallway, stopping as I see light shine from the bottom of a door. This is the art room, as in Zayn's classroom. He never got here before I did. I press my ear to the door, wanting to eavesdrop.  

"I love you,"  Zayn's voice says. I find myself cringing at the statement. Perrie and him can't be at the 'I love you's' already. It seems way to soon, but considering I haven't had a boyfriend in at least two years I can't say much. 

"I love you more."  That voice sounds nothing like Perrie's. I think back to the cars and now place Zayn's, but the other is still a mystery. 

"I'm sorry you had to come so early. I miss you a lot and it's hard not kissing you whenever I want to. You're so adorable I find it hard to resist," Zayn huffs. My brain hammers trying to figure out who Zayn's kissing. I know the voice didn't belong to Perrie, but who else could it be? Nothing's adding up. 

"You saw me yesterday,"  The person teases. Maybe my brain's just playing tricks on me. It has to be Perrie. There's no other logical explanation. I stand, deciding to just ask Zayn about it later. However, when I stand and go to turn, my foot slips and I fall. I land on the ground with a thud and I pray that nobody hears it. 

Silence. It's the only thing that I hear. After a moment I hear rustling and the door opens. Zayn pops his head out from behind the door. His face transforms from a frown to a sign of relief. I furrow my eyebrows as I stand up on my own.  

"Louis, what are you doing here," Zayn asks. I scoff. 

"I should be asking you that question. Who's in there? I heard a voice," I snap. Zayn's face falls and he glances back in his room. 

"I was on the phone with someone. It was on speaker because I was trying to clean up a little before class. Nothing to worry about, just go back downstairs. I'll see you this afternoon." Zayn gives me a small smile before shutting the door. I narrow my eyes as I take a step back. He's hiding something. 

I hate when people hide stuff from me. 

~_~_~

Boys athletics is the last period of the day. It's great that way, because the equipment's already out and ready for after school practice. Nobody has to bother changing, we just continue after the bell. 

"Payne! Come here," I bark. The team's in the middle of a scrimmage, but Payne's totally off his game. It surprises me. He turns to face me when he hears his name and jogs over. He wears a small frown.

"Is something wrong? You're not playing very well and I except more from you" I ask. I find myself lowering my voice and letting it become softer, abandoning the hardened tone I use during practice. I may seem like a jackass most of the time, but I pride myself in knowing when to be gentler. 

"I haven't been getting enough sleep at night. I'm making up all my work and trying to stay caught up in math, but the art show is coming up and Mr. Malik has been hard on me. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be making up excuses, but I'm just having a rough time," He explains. 

I understand that completely. When I was in high school I struggled in my core classes and found myself falling behind a lot. Studying consumed most of my life, but when I wasn't doing that I had a script or monologue to memorize in theater. It was always one thing after another. I was just glad I had a coach that understood and helped me. If it wasn't for him, I don't know where I would be right now. 

"Go home, rest, and do whatever you need to do. You got today off, but tomorrow I want to you see you at your best, okay?" I pat his shoulder as he thanks me. He brings me in for a short hug before running off to the changing room. 

I decide to cut practice a little short today, since everyone seems a little down. There's no point in practicing if everyone isn't giving their all anyway. I know Zayn will probably be up in his room still. We normally just meet up with each other at the fields and then head home in separate cars, but since I cut practice early he probably isn't down yet. 

I whistle as I make my way up to Zayn's room. I feel at ease and almost calm for the first time in a long time. The only thing that worries me is the incident this morning, but I'll ask Zayn about that sometime tonight. It's probably nothing to worry about. 

I open the door and stop as I see Zayn kissing someone that isn't female. "Zayn?" The word leaves my mouth loud and very confused. The two jump apart and my heart drops as I see someone I know. The car and hooded figure from last night come back to me and I realize how I know it.

"Liam?"