Part Nine

Dad had bought it. He’d bought our story, and he’d let Leonard stay at our house. I had noticed a few slight suspicions he’d had with our story by the rises in his voice, and the cocking of his eyebrows, but I was content with the fact he seemed relatively convinced and I personally thought that the story was believable enough for him to be satisfied with it and so even though I noticed he was a tad suspicious, I wasn’t too panicked about it. I was satisfied that we would be safe here for a while, or at least until we got some information from Mr Purple and found a way to leave and whatnot. All I knew was that I wanted to set things straight, and to make everything right and to find my missing admirers.

After we walked into the house, I went and changed into something more comfortable and then lay on my bed for a second, and closed my eyes. I felt stressed out and on edge and I took a deep breath in and then sighed heavily, worry pulsing through me. Everything I’d ever known about anything was different now. Just couldn’t see how this was going to end, or what was going to happen next, or if I was going to be safe. And normally, I had a decent idea of how things were going to pan out. But I didn’t in that moment, I was clueless. Would everything be ok?

As I lay there, deep in thought and full of stress, I felt the presence of someone in the room, and I listened as their shoes clonked on the wooden floor as they made their way towards me. I didn’t care who it was to be honest, but if it was Dad, I had a problem because, well, I didn’t really want to talk to him at that moment. Things were still fairly awks after the vase incident. I felt the person standing over me, I could hear them breathing and it was then, that I opened my eyes to see who it was.

Standing over me, with a beaming smile, and gorgeous blinking eyes, was Leonard. He looked lovely in this lighting, or really he just always looked lovely to me. I smiled, patting the space on the bed beside me, inviting him to lie down next to me. And he did.

First, he sat down on the edge of the bed and pulled off his shoes, and then, throwing them on the floor, he crawled over beside me and rested his head down next to mine. Feeling his deep breathing next to me, and feeling comforted by his presence, I closed my eyes again, although this time I felt a little less stressed out. Maybe it was due to having a free-spirit like Leonard around. He didn’t seem the type to worry all that much and maybe it was rubbing off on me. He made me feel happy, relaxed, safe.

“What are you thinking about?” he asked me, so close to me I could almost hear his heart beating.  

It was funny that he asked me that, because I’d been thinking about him at that exact moment.

“Oh, um I was just wondering about everything. Just hoping everything’s going to turn out alright. I guess I’m a bit worried about this all, about everything.”

“I know something that could help with that,” he offered.

I could hear him smiling, almost. I turned over, opening my eyes so I was looking into his.

“What?” I asked, smiling.