Part Eleven

I returned to my room, where Leonard was laying on the bed, half asleep, totally oblivious to the showdown that had just gone on between me and my father. I lay down next to him again on the bed. He opened his eyes completely, suddenly aware of my presence.

“Did it work? Do you feel better?” he asked me in wonderment.

Regardless of my father’s shitty interruption, I did feel better. I felt much, much better. Seeing all the better things, looking on the brighter side, had made me feel a lot more at ease. I knew I had Leonard. He was here, he was safe. He was next to me, breathing on me, so close to me it hurt. And I felt happy, happier than I ever had before.

“Yes,” I smiled, “I feel much better. That was so good.”

“I’m glad it worked.” He smiled, nodding.

“Did you think about that time when we kissed?” he asked after a few moments of silence, “Did that make you happy?”

I suddenly remembered what he was talking about. In year 3, Leonard and I had kissed for a truth or dare. And then I remembered the second time, on the first day of school near the library where I had practically sucked his face off! 

“Oh my gosh! I completely forgot about that.” I exclaimed.

“Well,” he said, smoothly “I better refresh your memory then.

He smiled at me, moving slowly closer to me. He reached out his hand, and caressed my right cheek and then, leaning forwards slowly he planted a kiss softly on my lips. Then, moving his lips off of mine, he leant backwards so he could look into my eyes. He was still smiling.

“There you go,” he said.  

“Thank you,” I smiled.

“There’s something to think about next time you’re stressed.”

I smiled.

“You’re the most beautiful girl I have ever seen,” he whispered, running his fingers through my hair.

“Thank you,” I blushed.  

With the soft touch of his fingertips sending tingles down my spine and the warmth of his presence beside me, I began drifting off to sleep.