Chapter 5

Lance's POV

It's been 3 weeks since my accident. I have been in a wheelchair for 3 weeks. Every time I roll down the hallways, I hear the whispers of students. I hated the attention. I could also feel the sympathy radiating off of people. don't deserve sympathy. I ran into the street without thinking, without looking. It's my fault that I'm in this wheelchair. I just hope to be able to get out of his wheelchair soon. The entire day was just a blur, like everyday these past 3 weeks, but today was different. I went to the auditorium like usual. I had to change rooms because the auditorium had better acoustics. I went to the light and sound booth and plugged my phone up. Soon, "Perfect" by Pink came on, and like usual I just started to sing. Next was "Pompeii" by Bastille, and I loved this song so much. It was one of my favorites. I basically had my #27 playlist playing. I loved this playlist because it had basically 20 songs that I absolutely loved because I could always put emotion into my performance which in turn made my performance better. The last song on the playlist is called "War of Hearts" and I forgot who it's by. I had tarted towards the end of the playlist, so it should restart in a minute. For some strange reason, it skipped "All of Me" by John Legend and went straight to "Broken" by Lindsey Haun. This song was my best one because it required so much of a certain type of sadness. I had this type of sadness deep inside me. When I finished singing the song, I heard clapping come from the audience, but I was supposed to be the only here.

"That was amazing," said a man in a suit. He looked very formal, and I got this gut feeling that he worked for a college or something.

"My name is James Clark. I'm a college scout from Princeton University. As an Ivy League School, we look for the best of the best. Your grades are impressive, but we look at more than grades of course. The dean has been interested in you for a while, but he needed to know about the social side of you along with the academic side of you. By looking at your file, we were able to see why you weren't very social, according to teachers who have worked with you. For someone with the disorders you possess, I'm suprised you aren't in special ed. Although, that isn't really important. I'm here to offer you a scholarship and a chance at dual enrollment. See, Princeton is only an hour or two away. You could stay on campus, get a head start on your classes, all that. I saw that you plan on going into the field of social work, and you plan on going for a PhD in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, and a few other areas. Now, that will be difficult, but I'm telling you, it's worth it. So, here's my card, contact me when you've thought it all over. Good day, Mr. Chace," Mr. Clark said before he turned nd walked out of the auditorium, leaving me awestruck. When I got home, I told everyone about what had happened, and basically everyone's jaw had hit the floor.

The next few day went by just like recent ones. Although, when I entered the auditorium, someone was singing "Listen To Your Heart" by Roxette. It was Jake. So, I decided to join in. Oh, and I was walking beause I finally was able to move my legs.

[Jake:]

I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I get a notion from the look in your eyes, yea

You've built a love but that love falls apart

Your little piece of heaven turns too dark

Listen to your heart

When he's calling for you

Listen to your heart

There's nothing else you can do

I don't know where you're going

And I don't know why

But listen to your heart

Before you tell him goodbye

Yeah

[Me:]

Sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile

The precious moments are all lost in the tide, yeah

[Me and Jake:]

They're swept away and nothing is what it seems

The feeling of belonging ([Jake:] belonging to your dreams)

([Me:] Listen to your heart)

When he's calling for you

Listen to your heart

There's nothing else you can do

([Me:] I don't) know where you're going

And I don't know why

But listen to your heart

Before you tell him goodbye

Oh, oh, oh, oh

And there are voices

That want to be heard

So much to mention

But you can't find the words

[Jake (Me):]

The sense of magic

The beauty that's been (beauty that's been)

When love was wilder ([Me:] than the wind)

[Jake and I:]

Listen to your heart

When he's calling for you

([Jake:] Listen to your heart) ([Me:] Listen to your heart)

([Jake:] There's nothing) else you can do

I don't know where you're going

And I don't know why

([Jake:] But listen to your heart) ([Me:] Listen to your heart)

Before, oh!

Listen to your heart ([Me:] Listen to your heart)

([Jake:] Take a listen to it), whoa

I don't know where you're going

And I don't know why

But listen to your heart

Before you tell him goodbye

(Now you can listen to the song linked to this chapter. The girl would be Jake and the boy would Lance.)

I don't know why or how, but our voices just seemed to fit together like puzzle pieces. When we had finished singing, after hitting the last note, something unexpected happened.

Jake kissed me, and it felt.... right, like it was meant to be, but i knew that we couldn't just kiss and begin dating and live happily ever after. No, this was gonna turn into a war. I could feel it, in my heart and in my soul. This would be a War of Hearts.

****************

Hey guys!!!!!!! It finally happened. I hope you like how I insinuated the title into the story. ;) ;) Love y'all. Like, comment, whatever. I'll start working on chapter six soon too. I got a laptop as an early birthday gift from grandpa who is also.... Santa Claus. i'm not joking. He's officially retired now, and he and my grandma have been Santa and Mrs. Clause for as long as I can remember. Lol. I'll be updating a lot more often now since I'm out for summer break, but i do have a few things this summer that may keep me from updating every now and then, but i plan on updating a lot. so, ttyl.