Chapter 12

Jake's POV
I woke up with Lance in my arms. He was so peaceful. It was like watching a baby sleep. I wish I could stay here forever with him, but that's not possible. Bzzzzz Bzzzzz went my phone. I picked up and saw a text from... my dad.
Come outside, right now. was all the text read. I slowly crawled out of the bed, got dressed and headed downstairs. I entirely forgot about the creaky step, and the sound echoed throughout the house. I rushed out the front door before Lance could see me.

My dad was outside leaning against his truck. "Dad, I can ex-," I was cutoff by my dad's hand hitting me across the face. "Get in the truck," he said as he hopped in and shut his door. When I got in, he didn't start the car. All he did was lay his head on the steering wheel. Then he uttered words I hadn't heard in a while. "I'm sorry I smacked you," he said, "I was just very upset." I  was gonna say something, but he cut me off by holding up his hand. "I was upset that I had to learn of this from James next door, and you know how he is," my dad started, "I understand why you didn't want to tell me, but I'm trying to change my ways and put the past behind me. If you are happy with him, then I'll support you. It'll take me a while to be fully accustomed to it, but I am willing to try. I don't want to lose you..... not like I lost Mark." I was shocked to hear him say that, especially my older brother's name.

Mark was my older brother; he was 5 years older than me. He and dad didn't get along well. They were always fighting, and then Mark came out of the closet and hell broke loose. Dad went ballistic, and Mark had a black eye and busted lip for weeks. One day, I came home from school and dad pulled up, home from work. I went into the kitchen to get a snack and dad went to see if Mark was home. Next thing I heard was something shatter and yelling for me to call 911. When I walked into the room with a phone, I saw dad untying the rope from the ceiling fan and then laying Mark on the bed. While on the phone with the police, dad tried to rececitate him, but he was already gone. That was several years ago, and dad hasn't said Mark's name until now.

I leaned over and hugged dad and said, "That's the best thing you could've said to me." The hug lasted for several minutes and I think I heard Dad sniffle. He let go and said, "Alright, go. That's all I needed to talk to you about, so go in inside." I got and told him bye. When I walked in, Lance was on the couch waiting for me.

"So," he said. "He just wanted to talk, and he said he's going to try to be supportive, it'll just take some time. He said as long as I am happy," I said pulling Lance into my arms. "Good," Lance said as he leaned up to kiss me. It was deep passionate kiss that was interrupted by Lance's phone ringing. The screen said, Jordan.