× Conoor ×

I was on the train heading towards Conoor Hill Station scooped up against the window pane, sound asleep. As I woke up midway, I noticed the luscious green hills and a billow of smoke waving away along with the mist. It was a sight to behold.

I looked at my phone. It was a message from Tara.

"When you get there, call me."

I gave a half smile. I replied back before I realized that I needed some fresh air. I got up and sneaked out of my carriage. I walked down towards the middle of the train, as I stood in the lane in thought, closing my eyes. I let the breeze hit, while the scenery unfolded before me like a rewinding tape. The atmosphere made me still and calm for some time, when the train suddenly entered a dark tunnel. I froze in my spot, as darkness came over me. Then at the moment, terrible images flooded in my head. There was a image of my mother and father lying in a blood bath, as my innocent self stood there traumatized at the sight. All I knew was if I hadn't had gone to the movies with my friends then, I would have been a corpse as well. Though whatever happened, why it happened wasn't clear to me. It was like a ruined cassette, where all the memories were there but were all scattered about.

I began to scream, holding my head in my hands. The darkness continued for sometime, as I cried out in fear and with crippling anxiety. The memories were haunting me. And I had no choice but to suffer through it all on my own. Until there was a figure who put his hand on me. I jolted.

"Hello. Is everything okay?"

I was still quivering.

"It's okay. I'm the ticket collector. I'm just here to help."

The darkness had finally disappeared, as light shone through the open space. I pulled myself together, taking a few deep breaths, before I got up to leave. The spectacled TC followed me on my trail, concerned with my state of being.

"Madam, is everything okay?"

I gave a half smile.

"Ji, I'm fine. Thanks."

The inspector looked back at the lane, with a worried expression. I heard him mumble to himself.

"There's no ghosts on the train, right."

I couldn't help but chuckle, as I shook my head.

---------------------------------------------------------

The train finally halted to it's destination. I had slept throughout the rest of the trip, when I was finally looking at the hill station and a board that read; "Conoor."

I smiled, as excitement flew in my stomach. I got down from the train with my luggage as I awaited for the sight of Tara Desai. I knew what she looked like. Aunty would always show me pictures of her, showing off her beauty. And she was indeed beautiful. Aunty would joke and say she should try for films as she would get offers straight away. Though I was worried if she would recognize me or not. But before I could figure that out, my phone buzzed.

It was Aunty Shraddha. I immediately picked up.

"Ileana beti, have you reached Connoor? According to the time you left, you should be there by now."

"Ji Aunty. I've reached. And I'm already in love with this place."

"That's good. I told you, you won't regret this. Now has that crazy daughter of mine arrived."

"I haven't found her yet. I'm still looking for her."

"Look around more closely, you might find her."

I walked around the station, dragging my bag looking for Aunty's beloved daughter. That's when it clicked. I was supposed to call her to let her know I was here.