Chapter 11

For the next 10 minutes my eyes were glued on the movements of the boys. I never took my gaze off of them once, even with all of the protests from the girls. I checked to see if everyone was still alive and ok. By the looks of it there was only two missing but I didn't see anyone I spoke to missing.

I didn't even know what Teresa was planning to do. What if they came in the building? It was on the edge of the town and it was starting to get dark, they needed a place for shelter and protection. I had heard Teresa say the words 'Just stay here' but I didn't listen to what else she had to say.

Now the boys were really close, close enough that I could make out their faces. I let out a sigh of relief when it was confirmed that Minho, Newt and Thomas were alright. Although they did look a little tired.

But then I noticed a man lying on the ground in front of them. All of the boys crowded around the man, they must be questioning him. They didn't look very informed about the scorch so I guessed they were looking for answers.

Another 5 minutes had passed and I was getting impatient, I wanted them to carry on and accidently stumble across this building and find us. I wanted to be reunited with everyone again, hear their voices, and communicate with them. But I knew W.I.C.K.E.D had other plans.

I hardly noticed Teresa about the go downstairs and head outside until I heard Frankie ask her where she was going.

"It doesn't matter. Lara you're in charge while I'm gone." She replied.

The boys started to walk again but stopped again immediately. Their gaze was set on something, and that something was Teresa.

I was fuming, she was going to go and talk to the boys when she wanted to kill one of them. And I'm the one trying to do everything I can to help them I don't get to see them. I felt like crying but I used to pain by now and I had a wall up now that allowed me to contain my emotions and not show them on my face.

Teresa was just standing there – doing nothing, almost as if she was waiting. Actually she was waiting, she was waiting for the boys to come to her.

The boys just stood there shocked, many doing double takes as if they were seeing things. Then Minho, Newt and Thomas started to walk forwards towards Teresa. My heart was ecstatic and my emotions were all over the place.

They took one step.

Yes!

Another step.

Just one step closer to being outside.

But then Thomas put his hand out to the other boys and started walking forward again. But this time Minho and Newt weren't following suit. Thomas must have told them to wait there, and it was getting harder to keep an expressionless look on my face. I felt like crying, screaming but I contained it. The only movement on my face was a twitch in my eye.

Soon Thomas was right in front of Teresa, they were looking each other in the eyes. Teresa broke the stare by leading Thomas into the building. They were right under us and all of the girls were silent, listening to what Teresa was going to say. Luckily there was a hole in the floorboard so I was able to see what was going on. Teresa starts to warn Thomas about things, I'm really confused – I thought she hated Thomas.

She makes Thomas more curious than he usually and he starts to ask questions. But I nearly gasp out loud when Teresa kisses him to shut him up. It would have melted my heart if it was the old Teresa kissing Thomas. But it's not and it seems forced and not genuine.