Chapter 16

A.N: This is one of the scenes that I have been looking forward to writing since the beginning of the book, it's really long and hope you enjoy it. I would love to hear your feedback and say if you want any preferences in this book. And tell me what you think of Teresa, Sonya, Maria, Amelia and Frankie in this chapter. xx

I hardly got any sleep last night, I was tossing and turning thinking about killing Thomas. But the times when I was able to get some sleep, I just had nightmares of killing Thomas.

"WAKE UP YA STICKS!" Teresa shouted, waking everyone – but me as I was up most of the night.

"What time are we going?" Amelia asked.

"Now." Teresa replied.

"What!" Maria exclaimed. "But the boys are still going to be asleep."

"We're moving camp, up by the mountains and then we'll come back down and get Thomas." Teresa said.

Within 5 minutes we had packed up and we were walking towards the mountains. Teresa had judged the distance wrong as at midday we had to stop and set up camp near a forest a few miles away from the mountains. There were a few trees scattered around and Teresa said that we would tie Thomas to one of them so he couldn't get away.

I must have looked a wreck, I hadn't brushed my hair or my teeth. I was just sitting - shaking and I was sweating like mad. I had never felt this nervous before, even when I was coming up the box. For most of the day I was out of it and I hardly noticed the worried glances I was getting from the girls.

Scenarios kept going through my head, where all of the boys would hate me, where we didn't have to kill Thomas and where all of the girls hated me because I stopped them from killing Thomas and cost them the cure.

Teresa announced that there was 10 minutes until we would go back to the sand dunes. I took this as my cue to brush my hair and teeth, I mainly did this because I wanted to look presentable to the boys, and reassure them that I was alright. If they didn't hate me that was.

Soon we were walking back to the sand dunes, I kept near the back hoping to avoid anyone and everyone. But of course that didn't work out for me, Frankie came back to talk to me.

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine." I replied.

"You're obviously not ok, you look terrible – you have bags under your eyes for goodness sake." She said.

"Well how would you feel if you had to kill your best friend and betray the rest of your maze. Do you what, just. GO. AWAY." I shouted gaining everyone's attention. I didn't care how rude I sounded, Frankie asked a stupid question.

Frankie had tears welling up in her eyes but before they could spill she ran up to the front of the group. Now I felt a little guilty, I didn't mean to make her cry, she just brought up a touchy subject for me.

We had been walking for about another hour and thankfully no one else had come back to talk to me. I think if someone did then I would explode on them like I did to Frankie.

We were nearly at the sand dunes, we could see the sand dunes up ahead of us. Tears started to well up in my eyes but I held them back and told myself that I was crying because of the sand blowing in my eyes.

Then Amelia came up to me, I really didn't want to shout at her like I did Frankie so I told her, "Listen, A, I don't want to shout at you so –"

But I was interrupted by Amelia.