Chapter 7

All I saw was sand, with the exception of a few buildings in the distance. Basically a scorched land. The girls were also taking in their surroundings, but it was all and. I couldn't believe the world got to this, in my memories everything was fine – how could the world get to this state in a short amount of time? I know it was something to do with the sun exploding but that was what Ava Paige told us but the Maze Runner book didn't have any information on the outside world, unless there was information on the pages that had been ripped out.

"Where do we go?" I heard one girl say. Ava Paige said to go north but I don't know which way North is.

"It's that way, and 100 miles is around where the mountains are." Teresa replied while pointing out into the distance. I didn't even realise that there was mountains and I had to look really closely to notice them.

"We won't make it as it's going to get dark so we'll start walking but as soon as it gets dark we'll set up camp and tomorrow we'll try to make it to the buildings." Teresa said and started to walk.

When it was still light we began walking and even though it was coming towards the end of the day it was still boiling hot. It was also quite windy so we used our scarves to protect ourselves.

We hadn't been walking for that long but my feet hurt – badly. I didn't want to imagine what the pain would be like tomorrow when we would walk all day. I could see that the others feet were hurting as well but they knew not to complain or Teresa would snap.

Like Teresa had said, when it got dark we set up camp. I found myself sleeping between Frankie and Sonya. I was still a bit cautious with Sonya so I turned to Frankie. She looked like she was thinking about something, daydreaming. Every now and again she would start laughing to herself and other times she looked like she was about to cry.

After a while I started to get worried, what if she was turning into one of those cranks and turning crazy. I shuddered at the thought and hoped I wouldn't encounter one. I decided to snap Frankie out of her trance by clicking my fingers in her face and immediately I had her attention.

"Huh?"

"What were you thinking about?" I asked her.

"Nothing." She replied.

"I know something's wrong, I'm the best at telling when something is wrong with someone. Even ask Teresa." Then I realised what I had said and my expression turned grim.

"Well if you had asked the old Teresa that she would have agreed with me. But anyway what's wrong?" I carried on.

"I saw one of the guys and he looked kinda cute. I was staring at him and he looked up and saw me. I started to blush but he waved and tried to communicate with me but I couldn't make out what he was saying. Does it mean he thought I was cute too?" She blurted out. I was a bit surprised that all of the craziness was over a boy but I let it slide and answered her question.

"What did he look like, if I know him then I could try and work out if he thought you were cute or not."

"He had jet black hair, really good muscles from what I saw and he looked like he was from Asian descent." She replied.

My jaw dropped, she was describing Minho. I nearly started laughing, I didn't think that Minho would like anyone but from what Frankie said it seemed like Minho thought she was cute.

"D-did he Erm.... Have dimples?" I asked still in disbelief.

"Yes, they made him look even cuter."

This time I couldn't contain my laughter and I burst out laughing. I stopped when I saw the hurt expression on her face.

"Why were you laughing?" She asked.

"You just described Minho – my best friend. I never thought that he would get all mushy over a girl." I replied.

"You think he liked me or something?" This time it was her who was in disbelief.

"Maybe like is a strong word, but you got to know each other then I'm sure that the two of you could get together. But he definitely thought you were cute." I stated.

Then she started screaming her head off and was shushed by the other girls and told to shut up by Teresa. After her outburst she looked down in embarrassment but then a smile was on her face.

Then her expression changed into a worried one and looked upset.

"What about if something happens to him? What if something happens to me? What if we don't see each other again? What if –" She rambled on but I interrupted her.

"I can't guarantee that we're going to see them again but I don't think anything will happen to him. He's a fighter and was the Keeper of the Runners. You're a fighter too and I'm going to make sure nothing happens to you."

"Thanks." She said and hugged me.

Then that was the conversation and again I worried if I was giving people too much hope. I have learnt by now that hope is a dangerous thing. It killed many of my friends back in the Glade and I don't want it to kill any of the girls now.

Surprisingly it was freezing now that it was dark and it was hard to get to sleep. But when sleep did arrive there were two things on my mind: The boys and how hope is a dangerous thing.