Chapter 24

"GRIEVER PODS!" One of the girls shouted and caused panic to arise.

"Everybody, listen up. Don't panic." Minho attempted to calm everyone down but he himself was a nervous wreck.

I tapped Newt on the shoulder and whispered into his ear. Then I was lifted from the ground and onto Newt's shoulders. When I was confident enough, I stood on his shoulders holding onto his head every now and again to stop myself from falling.

"HEY, EVERYONE LISTEN UP. CALM THE SHUCK DOWN." I shouted, hoping my voice wouldn't betray me.

Soon everyone had quietened down and their attention was on me.

"We need to wait and see what these things are. It can't be grievers – it's too dry for them out here." I announced but I was mainly talking to myself.

"Maybe we're supposed to go inside them?" Teresa suggested.

"Unless we don't. You could be sending us all to our deaths, maybe W.I.C.K.E.D asked you to do that too." Minho argued.

"Guys, now is not the time for arguments. When have W.I.C.K.E.D ever been nice to us? They haven't so we're probably going to have to fight. We all have weapons so try your hardest to fight and focus. We made it this far and we can't give up." I said, trying my best to sound confident but motivating.

"Yeah." Someone in the crowd cheered. And soon everyone was cheering.

Minho told everyone to get into a circle facing outwards. It looked like there was a griever pod for all of us so we would have one pod each – or whatever was in the pod.

Thomas, Newt, Minho, Teresa, Harriet, Sonya and I decided to have a discussion as to what to do.

"We should go take a closer look at the pods." Teresa said and Thomas instantly agreed.

Suddenly a sharp hissing sound fill the air making us all jump. It was loud, one of those sounds that make you shiver – like nails going down a chalkboard. Everyone had to put their hands over their ears to stop the sound from affecting them too much.

I looked up and noticed that the pods were opening and at some points I could see a shadow of something.

"Thomas me and Newt will go and check it out." Minho shouted and I nodded.

They took two steps and then everyone let out a gasp. A hand – disfigured, covered in weird bulbs and wounds all over it – reached out some of the pods. The creature seemed to be trying to grab hold of something that wasn't there.

The three boys took the two steps back into the circle, not wanting to be anywhere near the creatures.

The creatures continued to emerge. One body part at a time. The creatures looked like some of the humans who had the flare. Except these creatures were 10 times worse and had these weird orange bulbs on them. As this was happening everyone was silent, waiting to see the outcome of this. Would the creatures attack?

"What are those things?" Sonya asked. No one answered.

I looked around and all of the creatures had emerged fully. And in unison they all pointed to the sky.

I cursed to myself, I forgot to keep an eye on the weather. The storm was already breaking out far in the distance, soon the lightning would arrive. I shuddered at the memory of the last storm.

Suddenly, as a boom of thunder sounded, blades shot out of the fingers, toes and shoulders of the creatures. Now that they had weapons it would be harder. It was a fair fight in the eyes of any person but to us we knew we were the ones who had the short end of the stick because after all it was W.I.C.K.E.D who were controlling the creatures.