Chapter 2-Bad News

I unlock the small wooden door, and step into the tiny room. Two single beds rest on either side of the space, and two chests sit at their feet.
    "You must be Isabella." A girl says, using her pink fingernails to push a strand of bleach blonde hair from her face. She gives me a welcoming smile.
    "Bella." I correct her, holding my hand out for her to shake. She obliges and tightly grasps my small hand, enveloping it in her large one, shaking it vigorously.
      "I'm Naomi." She smiles, releasing my hand. Heavy makeup surrounds her blue-green eyes, and pink lipgloss coats her lips. She looks like a Barbie doll. I pull my heavy suitcases onto my bed, and begin unpacking them, sorting the clothing into neat piles, and stowing them away into the large chest. As they always do while performing mindless tasks, dark memories cloud my thoughts, causing my heart to pound in my chest, like a hammer against cloth. I almost don't hear Naomi say,
    "So, have you ever been to a boarding school before?" I don't want to tell her anything about my life previous to this moment. I had planned to keep to myself, and be invisible just for these last two years of high school. I don't care if I'm just another face in the yearbook, drawing any sort of attention to myself could be damaging.
    "No." I answer simply. Naomi shakes her head in disbelief.
    "Damn, you're so lucky you got put into my room then." She gapes. I turn to face her, unsure if she is joking or if she's just conceded. She shows no signs of humor, and I turn back to my suitcases and attempt to hide my eye roll. "It's just that I know everyone in this school, and if you hang with me, then you'll have a really good time." Naomi tells me as if its no big deal. I smile at her, unsure of what to do since I've finished my unpacking.
    "Do you want me to show you around campus?" She asks. I contemplate her offer in my mind. If she knows everyone as she claims to, then she is bound to be the center of attention wherever she goes, and attention is the last thing that I want. However, I really do need someone to show me around campus so I won't get lost on my first day of school on Monday.
      "Yeah sure." I decide.

    "And this," Naomi says, dramatically lifting her arms in emphasis. "Is the boys' building." My eyes look over the brick form. It looks identical to that of the girls' building. Boys enter and exit the double doors, each one seemingly more interested in Naomi as the next. They all greet her, or wink at her. I try to keep my head down, but I can feel eyes on me too. Naomi tells me to sit on a nearby bench while she goes and gets us coffee from an on-campus shop. I obey and sit down, twiddling with my thumbs. The sound of a door slam makes me jump, and my head shoots up. The boy who was in Headmaster Sullivan's office today stomps down the main steps of the building. His face is twisted in a deep scowl, and my breath hitches in my throat when we, for the second time today, lock eyes. His glare equally as intense as before. My heart starts pounding in my chest, as he begins to make his way over to me, never breaking eye contact. Just as he's about to approach me, something catches his eye, and he stops in his tracks. I turn my head to see what caught his attention, and see Naomi strutting over to me, two cups of coffee in hand. I turn my attention back to where the boy stood, but he has disappeared.
      "What the hell?" Naomi whines once she is closer to me, handing me the steaming beverage. I look up at her in confusion.
      "Why was Harry Styles walking over to you?" She hisses, placing a hand on her hip. I shrug.
      "I don't know, he just started walking over here.." I defend. Naomi shakes her head, and sits down next to me.
      "Okay if you're going to make it out of this school alive, then you need to learn two things. One, hang out in the right crowd. The best crowd is me and my friends." She says with a nudge. "And two, whatever you do, don't hang out with Harry Styles or any of his friends." I take a sip of the hot beverage resting in my hands and the steaming liquid glides down my throat, burning my tongue.
      "Why?" I ask. Naomi looks dumbfounded by my ignorance.
      "Because he's bad news. He has the world's shortest temper, and he sleeps with any and every girl." Naomi explains with an eye roll. "He's so pathetic." Naomi takes a sip of her drink, and it seemingly dissolves her sour mood, her tone cheery once again. "Anyway, there's gonna be a party tonight. You should totally come." I scrunch up my nose. I've never been one to party, and the thought of being around a large group of intoxicated strangers does not particularly appeal to me. I shake my head.
    "I don't think so." Naomi pouts her lip, obviously not used to being told no.
    "Pleaaaaasseeeee!" She whines. "It'll be fun I promise! Only cool people will be there!" She pleads. I sigh, I guess it would be better than me sitting in that stuffy room all night, allowing painful memories to consume me.
    "I guess I could go for an hour or so." I squeak. Naomi squeals, and wraps her arms around me.
    "It'll be unforgettable" She shrieks. And she was right.

Thanks for reading! <3