Chapter 19-Missing

Harry and I walk along the beach, hand in hand. He tells me of his old life in England, the friends he'd had, and the house in which he and his family resided. He doesn't prod me for information about my past, and for that, I am grateful. As much as I enjoy spending time with Harry, thoughts of him often cloud my mind, fogging all judgement, and making it impossible to do or say anything clearly. This is why I allow Harry to do most of the talking, nodding occasionally, and adding additional commentaries as necessary.

A gust of wind blows, whipping my hair around, and freezing both me and Harry. I burrow my head into his chest, ceasing our movements, as he engulfs me in his tight hold. My teeth chatter slightly at the instantaneous change in weather, the temperature dropping noticeably.

"Are you too cold? Should we leave?" Harry worriedly asks me. I look up at his emerald eyes, flecks of gold shining inside as the rays of the sun reflect off of them. My shivering indicates my obvious chill, but I am not ready for my time with Harry to end. Just listening to his deep and husky voice ramble on about nothing leaves me perfectly content.

"N-no." I say shakily, as my teeth tremble. Harry smiles down at my shuddering form.

"We can go somewhere warmer." He assures me.

"I don't want to go back to school!" I unintentionally blurt, then immediately cover my face in sheer embarrassment. Harry chuckles, rubbing his long arms up and down my back in an attempt to raise my body heat.

"Then lets go somewhere else." I nod and allow him to guide me back in the direction of his black car.

Harry unlocks the doors of the large vehicle, and I jump inside. He is just about to enter, when his cellphone rings obnoxiously in his pocket. Checking the screen of the mobile device, he excuses himself to accept the call. Before he leaves, he shrugs his jacket off of his broad shoulders, and opens the passenger door, handing it to me.

"I'll be right back." He promises, before walking out of sight with his phone glued to the side of his head. I swiftly wrap the additional layer around me, but as I try to zip it up, the material gets trapped in my own sweatshirt. With an abundance of frustration, I rip Harry's jacket from my numb body. I haul my hoodie from my head, feeling vulnerably frozen without it. I hastily reach for the jacket that Harry left with me, pulling it up my arms to block out any further ventilation. The fabric consumes me entirely, my tiny form hidden within its confinement. I stare out the window of the car in hopes that Harry will make a speedy return.

It's been about twenty minutes since Harry left. Should I be concerned? I look into the rear view mirror, checking to see if his lanky figure can be seen in the distance. There is no one in sight. Before I have time to talk myself out of it, I step out of the vehicle, and begin to wander around the desolate area. All too soon, Harry's car is no longer visible to me, and I start to panic. Which way did I come from? The surrounding scenery looks identical, and I find myself questioning which way is back, and which is forth. I stand on a never ending winding strip of grass resting on an elevated platform just above the sand. After about three wrong turns, I deem myself lost and helpless. I unzip Harry's jacket, reaching inside to pull my cellphone out of the pocket of my sweatshirt, but as my hand brushes over my t-shirt instead of the garment that I'd hoped for, realization strikes me. I am lost without a cellphone.

I continue my explorations, turning around every few minutes in an attempt to get back to where I started, but to no avail, I am completely unsure of my whereabouts.

I walk for what feels like forever, occasionally lifting my head to check for a street sign or another person but I am unsuccessful. I drop my chin down to my chest, trying to conceal the cold from penetrating into my shivering flesh. The long sleeves of Harry's jacket reach far below my hands, hiding them within their blanket of warmth. I kick at the soil beneath me, pebbles skipping across the Earth as I slowly make my way down the infinite land stretched out in front of me. Missing, cold, and impotent, I feel hopeless. The indefinite possibilities of terrible scenarios circulate throughout my fuzzy mind. What if I'm never found?