Chapter 22 - I failed

Annabelle's POV
______________

I looked at the scoreboard. The saints were winning 8-0 and it was the top of the fifth inning. Norwell had a runner on third base in scoring position. I decided to play with them a bit. The batter up was a big hitter. But her ball was caught by the left fielder. "Let's spice things up a bit." I said as I snapped my fingers. As the pitch came in, the batter swung and hit he ball to left field. The ball was still in the air and the runner was tagging up on third. I gave my hand a subtle swish and the ball kept going over the left fielder's head. "Cut, cut, cut!" Kelli yelled. I watched as they relayed the ball to the shortstop. Kelli just had to notice the runner about to round third base. It was at the right time too. "Four!" She yelled. "Four!"

I decided to speed up the runner a bit with a raise of my hand. The ball was thrown in and Kelli caught it. I then snapped my fingers to have her ram into Kelli. After she caught it, the runner didn't slide, but collided with Kelli with my hopes she'd drop the ball for her to be safe. She went flying into the backstop. "Ball?" The umpire asked. Kelli wasn't getting up. She was struggling. Next thing I knew, there was blood gushing out of her glove arm and her left leg. It set me off. I felt my eyes change color.

I could fight it, but it's blood. I started clutching my head. Collin seemed to notice. "Are you okay?" He asked. "Not really." I said. "It's her blood. I can smell it. I don't think I can hold this in any longer." "Can we wait two more innings at least?" Collin asked. "She got spiked with the runner's metal cleats." I said. "The blood is seeping through the knee of the white pants and down the socks. I'm just trying to hold it in until the game ends, which I'm not doing a good job with." I watched as the umpire walked over. "She's got it." He yelled. "She's out." The Sacred Heart crowd cheered. "NO!" I screamed. "I thought I succeeded. I guess I need to try harder."

Then, Kelli's head shot up. "She heard you." Collin whispered. "Yup." I said. The coaches took her mask off for her to breathe. They took a short timeout before starting the bottom half of the inning. As the coaches from both teams were helping with wrapping her arm, I saw a glimmer in her hair. It was with the elastic band holding her high ponytail. I looked at her necklace in my hand. Then at the chain in her hair. Wait. Chain. No. I failed.

.....

Collin's POV
___________

I saw Annabelle's look turn from surprise to anger. "Um, are you okay?" I asked. "Stop asking me that!" She demanded. "But, do you see anything eye catching in her hair? Anything at all appeal to you?" I looked closely. However, I was stopped. "You staring, Collin?" Jason asked. "Shut up." I said, as I shot him a glare, my eyes turning red. "Oooh, I'm scared." Jason said sarcastically. His eyes turned red as well. I looked in his direction to see Rachel and Mary. I remembered Mary's eyes turned green one time. I didn't recall when. "Hey!" Annabelle said, waving her hand in front of my face. "Sorry." I said. "You missed it." She said. "This doesn't look like the real one." "What do you mean?" I asked. "The necklace." She said. "It's fake. It has to be." "Let's find out when the game ends." I said. "We will see if it is the true necklace or not." She sighed as Norwell took the field.

.....

Kelli's POV
__________

I sat down on the bench. I knew I wasn't going to be up for a while. I took off my catcher's mitt and I saw my skin getting a bit tan. More than usual. My nails were about to darken. I quickly put on my batting gloves. Then, Katie walked over to me. "You sure this will work, because it's not working." I said. "I'm sure, with that necklace in your hair it would help slow down your transformation." She said. I took off my shades. My eyes were flickering. I quickly put them back on. "I'm freaking out." I said. "You'll be fine." Katie said.