Chapter 21 - The game

Katie's POV
____________

We all were about to finish our food. "May I tell the team?" I whispered to Kelli. "I don't know." Kelli said. "What will they think?" "That's the problem." I said. "Then why even ask in the first place?" Kelli asked. I shrugged. "I dunno." I said. "Exactly." Kelli said. Then Gaby started talking. "Alright girls, we will play our hardest today." She said. "Kelli, you will start as catcher. Lauren, you will be pitching, so Kelli, you have to warm her up as soon as we get tip the field." I looked at Kelli as she finished her sandwich. I finished my salad and we all walked out.

...time skip...

We arrived back at the school with an hour to warm up. I threw with Jordan. "Kelli is acting awfully strange." She said. "Really?" I lied. "What makes you think that?" "She was acting peculiar earlier." She said. "I saw a necklace around her. But I only saw the chain link and not the charm. Should there be a charm? And why would she be hiding it?"

I looked back at Kelli as she was warming up Lauren. "Still, I see nothing out of the order." I said. "Okay." She said. Everyone except you, Coach B, and Mr. Olson notice that she is acting strange. Is she not like us. Like not vampires?" "I don't know." I said. "How?" She asked. "I can't even read her mind."

"Me neither, but why do you want to read her mind?" I asked. "Maybe it's that chain necklace." She said. "I'm gonna try to see what it is so I can know. I just wanna know." "Jeez." I said. "Calm down. We'll know when she is ready to tell us." "Alright." She said. "But I should know at least today." I sighed as we then did some infield practice. It went well and soon we were done and the opposing team came. We were against Norwell. They are a very good team.

......

Kelli's POV
___________

The game started and I was behind the plate. Lauren walked to the mound for warm-up. She threw three pitches as the umpire walked towards us. "Throw on the next pitch." He said. "Then we'll start the game." I nodded. "Balls in, coming down." I yelled. They rolled each ball in. As the pitch came in, my eyes turned yellow under the shades. I caught the ball and threw it down to second base in a straight line drive.

The first batter walked up to the plate. "Well, hello, Kelli." She said. "And I know you from what?" I asked. "It's been a while." She said. "I'll talk to you after the game." The umpire walked back to us. "Let's go girls." He said. "Play ball." Lauren walked to the mound. I gave her a fastball on the outside corner. She nodded and started her pitch. The ball came in and she swung. The ball popped up in foul territory. I whipped my mask off and looked up to see the ball. I put my glove up above me and caught the ball. "Out!" The umpire said. "One lesson my dad taught me, is to never swing at the first pitch." I said. The batter just walked back to the dugout in anger.

The next two batters were easy strikeouts. Now we were up to bat. I was lead-off so I had to take off my gear quickly. I put a helmet on, got out my purple Xeno bat and white batting gloves and walked up to the plate. "Here we go, Kelli!" Katie cheered. "What do you say, six? You're a hitter!" I looked for signs from Coach B. She just told me to hit away. I turned away and set up in the box. I remembered not to swing at the first pitch. So I let the first pitch go by. "Ball one." The umpire said. I cracked the muscles in my neck and I saw Mary, Jason, Rachel, the JV players, Collin, Spencer, and... Annabelle. How were they there? How is she there? I just shook my head and remembered I didn't have my shades on. "Alright, give me something to hit." I whispered. The pitch came in and I sent the ball over he center fielder's head. I sprinted around the bases, eventually standing up on home. My teammates celebrated the home run as I was still phased about what happened. We ended the inning with a six run lead. My teammates jogged onto the field as I was still phased from my home run hit. I had a feeling the full moon would be rising any minute now.