Chapter 2: Natural Selection

Restaurant- 20th Ward
Hirako watches as Rikina slices the steak for Juzou. "First Class Juzou, shouldn't you be the one...", he felt it nonsensical to continue his sentence and just stared outside the window where he could see the view of the town. Compared to the other wards, the 20th ward is still thriving with humans and is flourishing. It was far-fetched from the 24th ward.

Dilapidated buildings.
Dead corpses.
Stench.
Rustic scent.

"Hirako-san, it's a lovely dish. Why don't we enjoy it together? The three of us", Rikina passed the plate. The inspector's recollection of how horrible the living conditions are in Ward 24 was interrupted. Hirako must have spaced out that he wasn't able to notice his superior preparing his meal.

Kiyomi High School

Rooftop

Touka clenched her fist hearing the news that Kaneki was brought to the 11th ward. She was there when Jason took him and she wasn't able to do anything. 

"Only the weak blame their past for the faults they find in their present; the strong acknowledge the effects of their past and then move on from it. We are all free to choose whether we will be weak or strong."

The silence was broken and so with her wallowing at the sound of someone else's voice. "I just saw it on your notes. I love the ring of it", Rikina stood beside Touka. "You've been absent for three days again. Yoriko kept pestering if I saw you around", the blue-haired lady turned to see a resting smile painted on the lady. She clicked her tongue and gave a slight punch to her classmate's side. "Where is that strength coming from?", Rikina coughed and chuckled. 

There's no doubt that Touka would like to save a comrade in distress. But then, some risks come with having themselves exposed to the investigators. All the peace that Yoshimura built up until this time will be disturbed. Due to the silence that Rikina provided at that time and the statement she quoted, she was able to solidify her resolve. She glared at the lady. "Did I do something?", the white head gave a short laugh.  Laughable as she thinks it is, Rikina helped her. "I'll hand over the notes this afternoon so be sure to come to the cafe", Touka pouted and the door to the rooftop opened. 

"What?! You're having a secret meeting without me?!!", Yoriko complained. She ran towards the two and hugged them. "Rikina! To the room, now! I will tutor you with all my might", the short-haired lady ordered. Touka listened to Rikina whining about having physical education make-up classes. As she watched the two, she hoped the best for them. Unlike her who was a murderer, a better life should be a reward for those who lived their lives with purity and integrity. "Then, what are you spacing out for Touka-chan? Don't tell me you already broke up with Kaneki-san?!!!", Yoriko was in shock. "Eih~ so dear Touka is interesting", Rikina commented and teased her together with Yoriko. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

CCG Headquarters- Ward 1

Yoshitoki Washuu, the director of the CCG called for Itsuki Marude in his office. After a quick orientation of the plan to raid the 11th ward, Marude politely raised his hand. "Basically, you're telling me to dispatch most of the high-ranking inspectors. This is a mission to capture one ghoul at the expense of pulling out those who are dispatched to the 23rd ward", Marude looked directly at Yoshitoki's eyes and they were serious. "Special Class Arima and the rest will manage", the director assured. 

"Also, we're dispatching a lot of newly graduated inspectors", Marude's eyes shifted to the floor. "Special class Iwako, Shinohara, and Imai will be there", Yoshitoki seemed to read the man. "And of course, you as well, Special Class Itsuki Marude", Yoshitoki called his name, and the man raised his head.