Chapter 5: In Between

20th Ward

Anteiku

Shinohara opened the door and saw Yoshimura wiping the counter. For a quick second, Rikina can see a calm demeanor from the old man's face before the door closes. She was left outside the door and leaned on the wall. She opened her phone and called Touka. 

"Yo! Where are you now?"

"I'm here at my uncle's place. Why are you calling now?"

"I see. I also want to have a vacation~"

"You're from Ward 1, aren't you going to visit your parents?"

"Well, I'm kind of nervous about returning. I've been lying to my parents about what I'm doing in the 20th ward". 

"Are they going to lock you up for a year? Serves you right. You don't attend your classes and you even sleep if ever you're in school". 

"Can you be nicer to me, Touka-chan~". 

"I never asked because I had always been hesitating. What have you been doing?". 

"Touka, I'm scared. For some reason, my hand won't stop shaking. I was about to call Yoriko but it seems that she's currently on a date. Also, if I tell her, she might look for me and drag me away from this place". 

"You called because you want a pep talk?"

"I just want to talk". 

"Then talk". 

"I... don't want to die". 

Rikina looked at the sky and the snow started to fall. She reached out her hand and felt the snow on her palm. Just a few meters from her are inspectors waiting for Shinohara's signal. They already secured the vicinity. All the civilians are asked to evacuate. 

"Then don't die". 

Rikina laughed and heard the door unlocking. "Touka. Thank you for being my friend. Sorry that I cannot protect the things you wanted to", the white-haired lady closed her eyes and ended the call without waiting for her friend's response. 

Shinohara dropped his hand on the lady's shoulder. "It's time for me to regroup with Kuroiwa", the man led the way. "Have a safe trip", the lady smiled and held onto her attached case. 

She walked down and saw the black dobbers and great ape ghouls gathered around. Rikina unlocked her attached case and vines crept out. It suddenly formed a chain-like quinque with a circular weapon on the end having the blade inside. "This can fit one ghoul head and rip it off in a second. I'll make it as painless as possible", Rikina said with a soft tone. The lady raised her head and the enemies jumped on her. They were thrown away. The inspectors also came to aid her. The number of enemies were drastically dropped. 

The way she with her weapon was so graceful that it felt like she was dancing. After some time, the Owl appeared. That who killed a lot of humans and ghouls alike but found redemption and tried to live a life of repentance. But some sins have consequences waiting for them. 

"We'll handle it from here. You need to give an assist. You've done enough damage", Hachikawa, the leader of squad 3 entered the battlefield. "I need to stay here until the Owl's comrades are dead", Rikina continued decapitating the ghoul's head. "Your main task is to make sure Juzou Suzuya survives. After all, he's the one they called the next Arima", the man pushed her away and the rest of squad 3 assisted their captain. "See you later, Special Class Imai", they said together except the captain. 

Squad 4 Battlefield

Amon stands in front of Kaneki. He knew that if they met under a different situation, they could share a moment having a cup of coffee. "I thought you would be the one who could tell me why I was the one left alive", the inspector prepared his quinque. Kaneki also prepared his kagune and their fight began.