Two Hearts For One | 12

"Why can't you come? This is your third time skipping practice, It's not like you."

Makoto says through the other line, sounding worried.

"W-Well, yeah, it's just- I have a lot to finish..I have to study and all that stuff.."
You say, knowing it was a bad excuse; but you couldn't come.

He sighs. "Alright then. Try to come tomorrow. Goodbye." Makoto says and hangs up.

You then breathe out a sigh of relief, happy that your excuse worked. The truth was, you had nothing to do;exams were finished. You had no homework, no chores, no nothing.

Oh, there was something.

Haru.

You can't see him, because now that you know he used to like you, you couldn't help but think you like him too.
You shake it off, saying he's just your rival but we all know you're only lying to yourself.

****

Next morning, you walked alone going to school, just like you did these past few days.

Suddenly, you hear loud and fast footsteps behind you. You turn around and see-

"Nao?!" You say as Nao hugs you tightly and smiles.

"Senpai! It's been a while!" She says, finally letting you go.

"Right..sorry about not being able to hang out." You say, feeling guilty.

"No worries! Can I walk with you?" Nao says shyly.

You smile and link her arm with yours. Nao blushes madly and looks down, avoiding your gaze.

"Senpai what's up right now? A-Anything different?" Nao asks, trying to start a conversation. 

"I realized that I like someone." You say, blushing lightly.

"W-What?!" Nao shouts a little too loud.

"Shh!! Yeah.."

"Where's he from?" Nao asks, growing even more curious.

"The swim team.."

"O-Oh.."

"He's the captain.." You say, your voice trailing away.

"S-Senpai." She says nervously.

"Yeah?"

"I-I have something to tell you." Nao says, pulling her arm away and holding your hand.

"Don't hate me, okay?" She tells you.

"Yeah, go ahead."

"I," she takes a deep breath. "ALSO LIKE MAKOTO-SENPAI!"

Suddenly, you were frozen, not out of shock, but because you were dumbfounded.

"I don't like Makoto." You say bluntly.

"H-Huh?! B-But you said he was the captain of the swim team!"