Finally

This is the last chapter and is kinda short!

VOTE!

COMMENT!

***

I stand and bask in the beautiful sunlight. I place my hand on my hip and stare out at the vast blue ocean, admiring the seagulls flying without a care in the world. I made it. Senior year was, lucky, not nearly as crazy as junior year. Things were sort of mellow. Course Connor still harassed me from time to time, I still had ESPN interviews, and I continued being the captain of the Knights football team. Ivy and Austin were as strong as ever, Drill was in deep with us and has made no other attempt on his life, all of us graduated with honors and in white. Cash and Hollis openly perused their relationship for some time, until they called it off. Duke and I saw our relationship to the end, we called a quits last week when he left for an early college session. I was proud of us and I miss him terribly but our futures hold different paths.

Our season was undefeated and we ended up with a State Champion title which pleased me to no end. To give my father the ability to say he couched a winning team. And, judging by what I've seen, even though we're leaving the Knights won't be nearly as bad as they've been. Cash is already said to be the next captain and I know he won't let us down.

It's the middle of summer and as a graduation present Grandpa funded a trip for Drill, Austin, Ivy, Cash and Casper to go on. We've been so many places but none compare to standing on this beach. I love the sand in between my toes, the gentle breeze, the smell of salt water.

I hear wicked laughter and grin as Drill pretends to chase Cass.

"Auntie!" Cass yelled, working hard to waddle his way to me. The Coles agreed to let Casper come on our adventure. He is such a beautiful little boy, resembling Austin in many ways. I love this child and adore it when he calls me auntie, but it's nothing compared to how I feel watching Casper, Austin and Ivy interact.

I smile and jog to Cass, scooping him up in my arms and making an exaggerated running away motion. He's loving it as he waves to Drill.

"Be careful with my son!" Austin yells.

"Daddy!" Casper cheered as I jog into the water.

Cash showed up a minute later carrying Casper's floaties. We had plenty of fun splashing in the water, even when Drill pretended his was drowning and sent Cass into hysteria.

I lay next to Austin on a beach towel as we watch Ivy and Cash help Casper build a sandcastle. My best girl friend is a terrific mother; she really has matured over the last year. She watches her mouth and isn't as quick to jump in a fight, her beauty is no longer blocked or hidden by her mean exterior but enhanced with her kindness. Of course, the old her sneaks back when needed but she has learned to tame the tiger.

"Did you ever think all this would happen?" I ask quietly.

Austin shook his head, "How could I? But I'm sure glad it did. I wouldn't change a thing,"

"Even getting crabs?" I tease, tossing sand on his stomach.

"Especially that. It showed me what a creep Connor is and helped me learn to love Ivy better than what I ever could without the experience. Plus, look at the handsome devil we made." He smirked but then his tone changed, "Thank you,"

"For?"

"Dealing with out shit when we couldn't. I'm not sure where we would be if Ivy had gotten an abortion. Cass wouldn't be here and we'd probably hate each other for that. You kept us together, Av's."

I roll my eyes, "Because it's the right thing to do. Even if Casper was Connors', I'd still love him. His lineage doesn't matter because he is still just a baby, an innocent child who did nothing wrong and didn't ask to be born."

It was silent for a moment, in which Drill returned with a cooler full of drinks.

Randomly, Austin said, "Remember the first game you played for me? I mean the very first,"

I sip the cold water and answer, "Like I could ever forget."

"Well I was never really hurt. I faked it, had been planning it for weeks actually." He admitted.

I smack his shoulder, "You knew I'd play for you!"

"Well duh," he laughed, "You didn't put up much resistance. Don't act like you didn't love it, you've wanted to play ball since we were kids."

I can't be too mad at him. He only did what he knew would make happy and even though I went through some serious life altering events because of that one action, I wouldn't reverse it. We have grown, evolved in a sense. We're better people, less ignorant and I'm grateful for that. High school is done with, college has to be a better experience, less drama. Either way, I can't wait.

"I'm going to miss my little man in while at college," Austin sighed.

"Same," Drill nodded.

I turn to him, "Where are you going?" he hasn't told any of us, been keeping it this huge secret with Grandpa. I'm expecting it's something good, like Harvard or Yale and Drill is just being modest. But that doesn't make sense because Drill is not modest in the least.

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He handed it to me and I unwrapped it. Austin and I read it together and I fling an empty water bottle at Drill, "Why didn't you tell me you got into my college?"

"I didn't want you to think I was following you. Auburn has always kinda been a dream, Gramps helped greatly."

I throw my arms around him, "I'm happy you'll be there with me, I've already made a few friends with guys from the team, you'll like them. Maybe we could get a few classes together,"

Drill laughed and pried me off him, "I'm going there to party, not learn."

I elbow him, "I'll keep you on track."

"Auntie!" Cass' curly blonde hair bounced with the smallest of moves and his pink lips wore an elated grin, "For you," he hands me a shell about the size of my palm.

"Me?" I exclaim, "Thank you, cutie." I kiss his cheek and he falls backward, giggling.

Ivy ruffed his hair and sat between Austin's legs, "Such a little dork,"

"He's a happy kid," Cash said, holding Casper while he ate a sandwich.

Drill burped, "We're all happy kids."

Austin pecked Ivy's shoulder, "Finally."

***

This is the end of Playing the Game, short, kinda rushed, but done.

Hope you liked it!

~Peace