The First Text

Jess's mom stood outside the hallway impatiently, waiting for Jess to come back. She was highly uncomfortable with her daughter being alone with strangers. Once she saw her daughter exit the room, she let out a sigh of relief. Jess was smiling brighter than ever and looked like a little sunshine in a field of darkness.

"So? What was that about?" her mom asked.

"Shawn just wanted to see me I guess. We talked, I motivated him, we exchanged numbers." Jess said in a normal tone, not trying to scream out at her mom that she got Shawn's number. Her mother would NOT like that.

"Ok, thats gr- Wait! YOU HAVE HIS NUMBER?!?!" her mom screamed at her. Jess looked at the floor.

"Yeah..." she said quietly, "But it is nothing. We only gave each other our number's because he wants to give me tickets to his concert near us next month. No other reason."

"He is GIVING you tickets? For FREE?!"

"Uh, yeah, that is what he said. Can we go and talk about this later?" Jess asked impatiently. She couldn't wait to leave this place and receive Shawn's first text.

"Ok, but we are having a long talk about this missy. A long talk." Jess and her mom left backstage and walked through the theater to get out. Jess's heart did a slight ping when she saw their seats, as it reminded her of the awesome concert she just experienced. They left the building and went to their car.

The whole ride home, her mom talked to her about being careful when texting boys and the whole "talk". But Jess was not listening to a word she said. She was trapped in her mind thinking about Shawn and what he said to her. Once they reached their house, Jess jumped out of the car, kissed her mom good night and ran upstairs to her room. Shutting the door behind her, she changed into pajamas and texted her friends Jaime, Maddy, Jasmine, Bella, and Emily in one large group chat. She sent every video she took and filled them in on her experience. But, she left out a teeny, tiny part. She never said how Shawn asked to see her and got her number. That felt too personal and Jess didn't know if she or Shawn wanted anyone to know about their semi-friendship. 

After hours of texting with her friends, Jess said goodbye and shut off her lights. Tucking herself under the covers, she put her phone next to her incase she got an important text or call. Closing her eyes, she let darkness take over. But before it could complete its process, Jess felt a vibration on her arm. She looked over to see that she got a text. A text from Shawn. It read "Hi Jess! So I talked to my people and they said that they could get the tickets! I will send you the info and stuff tomorrow when they actually get them."

Jess replied, "Thanks so much! How are you doing? Feeling, happier?"

"Yup I'm totally tubular, man." Jess laughed quietly. Shawn was such a dork. A cute, funny, amazingly hot dork.

"Well, my manager is yelling at me that I am not asleep so text you later. Baaaaaiiiiiiiyyyyyy! Love ya! <3"

Jess stared at her phone with gaping eyes. Did Shawn just said he loved her? To her, without having to? She did a double take at her phone and the text didn't change. He said he loved her. Shawn Mendes loved Jess. She rapidly sent him a heart and sat there, staring at her phone. She didn't know how long she looked at it before she fell asleep. It felt like ages. Amazing and spectacular ages.