Cute And Then Not So Much

It only took Jess about twenty minutes to find Shawn. All she had to do was look at her Find My iPhone app and for some reason, Shawn's phone was the only one there. Hey, it works. They should rename the app Find My Boyfriend instead, to make girls lives ALOT easier if their guy goes missing.

When she arrived at his location, Jess saw his car first. It was literally in the middle of some abandoned road in the woods. Shawn was sitting on top of it, looking at the sky. The sun was setting and the sky was painted with rich oranges and pinks. It was very beautiful.

Jess was as quiet as she possibly could and climbed up onto the roof of the car, using the the trunk's ledge as a foothold. Jess sat next to Shawn, dangling her tiny legs of the side off the side of the car like him. He was shocked to see her.

"Jess?! What are you doing here?"

"I left home. Made a choice. Stuff not good with mom. I'm better off elsewhere."

"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. If only I kept my hands to myself, your mom would have not done that. You guys would still be good. You would be living in your own home."

Jess held Shawn's hand. "Hey, it is NOT your fault. My mom still would have exploded at us even if we were just kissing. That is just her. Don't be so hard on yourself."

"But she is all you have."

Jess became quiet. She never really talked to Shawn about her dad. It was the average sad parent story like they all are. He was driving home from work and got into a car accident. It happened when Jess was 7 and she didn't remember him that well. All she remembered was warm, chocolate gooey pancakes that he made every Saturday and a kind smile. It was a sensitive topic for her, so she preferred to not talk about it.

"Yeah." she said quietly. "But I have you, so she is not the only person in this world I can go to."

"But a boyfriend is not the same as a parent or family member. The connection, the relationhsip, is not the same."

"You're right. Its not. Because I love my mother in a way that I go to her for guidance, when I feel down. I love you in the sense that I have someone to support me, to lift my spirits, to surprise me and bring joy to my boring life. My love for you is eternal and from the soul. My love for my mother is only from the heart."

Shawn looked at Jess's beautiful face features. Her breathtaking eyes, warm smile, perfect cheek bones and jaw line. Everything about her was perfect. People might say that they were just kids, just teenagers, that love between them was fake and unreal. Boy, little did they know. Shawn wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, capture every moment, every experience in the palm of his hand and re-watch it over and over again. He stared at Jess, looking at her longingly.

"What are you looking at?" she asked him.

"Oh, I'm just admiring how gorgeous my girlfriend is. Do you happen to know her? About this tall." Shawn put his hand out. "Brown hair. Blue eyes. Never wears a lot of makeup."

"You know what? I think I do." Jess laughed.

"Then would you mind telling her how I love her to a sun."

"Ok, but don't you mean to the sun and back?"

He shook his head. "No, I meant to a sun. You see, if I said to the sun and back, the love would end. When I say a sun, I mean any sun in the entire universe. That could mean it is so far away, it would take billions of years to get there. And it would never come back, so the love would be forever. Now that is how much I love my girlfriend."

Jess smiled and blushed. "I guess I love you to a sun too."

Shawn furrowed his eyebrows. "I said I loved my girlfriend that much, not you!"