Two and Twenty

Marc had only moved his position slightly in the past few hours, so he seemed less lonely. Since older women kept approaching him asking for dances. He had loosened his tie slightly so that he wasn't choking any longer. As he began getting slightly fatigued he found and took a seat.

He had seen nothing out of the ordinary the entire time and he was exhausted. He stared out into the crowd and his mind grew blank. He shut his eyes just for a moment.

"Tired already officer?" a feminine voice spoke.

He opened his eyes only to see draped purple fabric in front of his face.

"The night is still young," he looked up to see the smiling face of Lucielle Starlet.

"uh... yeah I..." He sat up smiling only slightly, trying not to look like he was already asleep.

"Was bored," she giggled, "I can relate. Is this seat taken?"

He shook his head, "you were bored?" she sat beside him smiling, staring at him.

"oh yes, this isn't quite my thing,"

"really? I thought.."

"I am surrounded by old rich people," she interrupted, a serious look on her face.

"Yes, I get it," he thought the woman seemed much more relaxed, and less distant than usual, then again he wasn't preparing to interrogate her. They smiled at one another. "so that man you were with..."

"My boss, he invited me. Ha ha you know I thought someone was watching me."

"not just you actually, just scoping out everyone here,"

"yeah? Well that does sound like something a cop would do. So you're here for business then officer Marshall?"

"Yes I am,"

"Oh that's too bad, and here I was about to ask you for a dance, well I guess we could just sit here and talk,"

"That could work, maybe we could dance later, when I'm not so busy,"

"You mean bored?" she smirked and chuckled, "I can help. What are we looking for?"

"No it's fine," He looked across the crowd, "I can handle it," he felt her staring at him, he tried to ignore it, but it made him a bit uncomfortable.

"You know I have no idea what your first name is. You don't have to tell me but it would be nice to know-"

"Marcus," he said without hesitation interrupting her. He felt embarrassed at the outburst that revealed his name. He noticed her moving out of the corner of his eye, and turned back. She was bent over in her chair, reaching for something. Giving him a good view of her back which was exposed. He felt more embarrassed as the cut ended low on her back.

"well then Marc, please do not tell my boss that I just stashed these expensive shoes under my chair," she sat up smiling mischievously.

Marc was confused but smiled anyway.