Seven and Twenty

It didn't take too long to arrive at the address he received. Marc entered the old, two story, brick town house after climbing up the concrete steps which lead to the door.
The place seemed quite normal, furniture looked used, there was fresh food in the refrigerator and dishes in the cupboards as well. It looked quite lived in.

" Hudson? " he called out.

Marc heard a muffled female voice call to him. He followed it to a door and upon opening it was greeted with a staircase.
As he made his way down the strong, wooden stairs a foul stench assaulted his nose. The air down there was musty and cool, yet the scent of something putrid wafted through it. He covered his mouth and nose with his hand and tried not to breathe deeply. He saw Hudson a serious yet disgusted look on her face. She stood a few paces from the stairs looking at Marc.  He then looked around the room which was illuminated by two light bulbs fixed to the ceiling. The floor had half a dozen bodies lying motionless on the floor,  they all lay in pools of  dried up blood. Stolen jewels had been tossed around the room. Then Marc noticed across the room there was a woman slumped against the wall. She had a bullet wound in her forehead,  and in her lap the ruby sat. She had an Envelope attached to her chest.

Marc stared in horror at the sight.

"There was a letter that guided us here. It was put on the commissioner's desk, he handed it of to Baun and I. "

"This is sick,"

"This is Gotham,"

"Are you sure it was The Ringmaster?"

" I am quite sure... although I didn't expect this..." She shook her head, " the team should be here shortly, I'll keep a look out. Stay here if you want. Take a look at this," she handed him an opened envelope with a red wax seal, stamped with an R. Then she headed up the stairs. Marc followed needing some fresh air.  When he reached the top he took a look at the letter.

       Dear Detectives,

Thank you dearly for being such darlings at the charity ball and staying out of the way, mostly. Anyways I truly appreciate it. So I thought i may give you a bit of information on your missing persons cases. Hope you enjoy.

R

The address was enclosed inside. 

"The Psycho, " Marc mumbled disgusted, as he angrily crumpled the letter and threw it to the ground.